Rear Glass Shield only Recommendations

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by n54power, Oct 24, 2011.

1. n54power macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a rear glass only shield/protector. Are there any reputable brands that sell a rear glass only option? I wouldn't mind a clear matte like finish (similar to anti-fingerprint shields).

So far I'm only aware of Power Support's Crystal Back, but $12.95 + $6.45 shipping seems a little ridiculous for this:
    http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/iphone-4/2-crystal-back-screen-films.html

Quick SGP Ultra Optics Screen Protector Review:

I recently purchased a SGP Ultra Optics anti-fingerprint for my iPhone 4s screen and I'm happy with it. I wanted a anti-fingerprint screen protector and from what I understand this is (as of 10/2011) the best anti-fingerprint screen protector regarding screen resolution. At first the change was obvious, the screen is definitely a little blurrier and more pixelated but I got used to it after a few days. At times I want to take it back off so I can see that beautiful screen resolution but I don't want the fingerprints. Like any other reviewer will say, it's a tradeoff with anti-fingerprint protectors.

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Well, I myself use the PhoneDevil Crystal Back on my 4S. They're expensive now.. but they were $6.50 when I ordered them a while back [some 50% off sale gimmick]. The protectors are absolutely great, the only issue is lining them up. They are sized exactly to the iPhone glass back, there is no room for error... so if you're off by 2 degrees, take off and try again. I was able to eventually get it but.. it was an adventure to say the least.

Your other option is to get a pack like this from SGP which includes a matte back. However, it is cut smaller than the glass, so you will have a teeny tiny bit of glass all around the edges exposed. I myself hated it and went with the PhoneDevil.

The fingerprints to suck, I won't deny that, but the exactness of fit is just way too scary good. :)

FWIW, there's also a product by PhantomSkinz for the back with a matte finish, but it's a wet install, and I just never recommend wet installs.... dry installs are easier to fix and redo.. but that's just me :p

3. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Dodocase.com the book back for iPhone. Amazon has it for 8.95 free shipping.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

For the back? Whatever random deal on ebay static-cling type protectors you find.

6. kalt macrumors regular

That's an unacceptable tradeoff. I agree that the Steinheil screen protectors are the best, but I tried the SGP Ultra Optics to see what it was like, and I took it off my phone after about 5 minutes. However, the SGP Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors are fantastic. You can't tell they are on there, the screen looks and feels perfect. And while there will still be fingerprints, the oleophobic coating makes it easier to wipe them off (about the same as the iphone 4S's oleophobic coated screen itself). But any matte screen protector, including the Ultra Optics, makes the screen blurry, pixelated, foggy, and it looks like you're viewing the screen through a wet newspaper - unacceptable. Especially when you have a screen as wonderful as the retina display on the iphone 4/4S. I hate fingerprints and I spend half my day wiping my phone - that wasted time is the tradeoff I made. If there were a pill I could take to stop my body from producing oil, I would gladly take it.

Try the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors... they're the best ones I've ever used. And the last one I got on my phone so perfectly straight, without any bubbles or pieces of dust underneath, I bet it's the most perfectly applied screen protector in human history. It's aligned to the freakin' atom. Nothing I've ever done has been so perfect, it's application is a work of art.

7. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

8. n54power thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone comment on the cheapo screen protectors sold on amazon? I'm only interested in the rear protector.

Do they leave residue when removed? Are they cut properly (alignment and edges)?