Rear panel shattered - 2 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Singin Hobo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

It freaking happened, so I've got a couple of questions...

1.) Have any novices here tried to replace it? I'm not a complete ham-fist, but I don't particularly like risking expensive tiny products just to see if I can.

2.) Has anyone successfully gotten Apple care to replace the back glass with a snarky argument? i.e. "I obviously got a defective product, the glass on iPhone 4 is 30 times harder than plastic, yet it shattered from a single drop that my 3G survived hundreds of times over the course of two years!"

2. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

haven't tried it personally, but the rear panel is very easy to replace. Just unscrew the bottom screws, and the panel will slide right off.
    the front panel unfortunately is alot more difficult to replace so consider yourself lucky!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Back-Rear...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item335f072d41

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Doughnut basically said it.

Replacing the back could not be much easier. Pull out two screws. Push up on back panel, and it should come right off. Slide on new back. Replace screws. Done.

The hard part will be finding a back.

I don't know what most of the back is made from, but since it's shattered, you may want to try peeling off the remaining glass and putting the glass-less cover back on. It'll probably look like crap though, but at least you won't have glass shards in your pocket.

4. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I shattered mine too on it's very first fall. Some people have been successful at getting Apple to give them new ones for free. I was not.

They told me it'd be $199 so I just put an invisible shield on the back (shoulda used packing tape, doesn't stick well to the shattered glass) and bought an ifrogz cover that covers the back.

Be careful with those back plates some sites are selling. The cheap ones are the glass ONLY and require you to pry the existing glass off the back of your housing as well as the lens bezel then you have to glue them back onto your existing backplate.

I want to do the easy two screw fix which requires you to buy a whole new backplate that already has the glass installed. I have not seen these for cheaper than $125 yet.

I'll buy one when they are a little cheaper and have other colors other than black and white.