rearanging playlists doesn't work. Instead it make double files. Itunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Snowcake, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Snowcake macrumors regular

Hello,

I have i stupid problem, if it can't be solved i say itunes goodbye.
    I can't simply rearranging the playlists in itunes on the left side, instead it COPIES the playlist in the other! So i have DOUBLE files.

Well, i hate that so much, stating the fact that i sometimes do that accidentally.
    Blech!

And i loved itunes so much.

Someone a solution? I will praise you. :cool:

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Itunes sorts playlists by alphabetical order. So unless you change their name to something like this:
    It will always show:
    It's the only solution I know off. Better solutions would be great:eek:

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Playlists in iTunes are arranged first by Folders then below that Smart Playlists and then below that regular Playlists. Within each type they are arranged alphabetically. So, if you want a particular playlist to appear in a different order, rename it so it will appear where you want.

4. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers.

But the biggest problem is that i sometimes accidentally move a playlist in another with the trackpad. Result: DOUBLE FILES.
    I don't want DOUBLE FILES!

Before i could rearrange the playlist, now it make double files.
    Crazy move, if you ask me.

But is there a solution to this? that this can't be happen anymore?

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm using iTunes 9.2.1 on OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) on a G4 iMac (no trackpad) and I can't duplicate that behavior. If I drag one regular Playlist onto another regular Playlist it adds the songs from the first to the second but doesn't duplicate either Playlist. If I try to drag a Smart Playlist to another Playlist (Smart or otherwise) it just pops back to it's original position.

Either the behavior you're experiencing is due to using iTunes 10, using OS X 10.5 or 10.6 or a setting specific to your trackpad. Sorry I can't be anymore helpful, maybe someone else here with a newer setup can be of help.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Duplicating playlists does not duplicate files. Playlists only contain aliases/shortcuts, not files themselves. One song can appear in dozens of playlists, but will still be represented by only one file.

7. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers,
    That is true, it is what i actually meant. It create shortcuts, but that is very annoying because for my: The whole reason to use playlists become useless.
    I was wrong using the word: Files... :p

So do people have a solution for NOT create shortcuts.

Thanks

:)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Don't try dragging playlists to rearrange their order. If you want the order different, rename the playlists so they sort alphabetically the way you want.

9. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but i did this several times accidentally, just the nature of me and the trackpad.

Sorry, no solution for me.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I use a mouse. Far quicker and more accurate.

11. Snowcake thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, but that is not why i bought a macbook air, i use it on the couch etc.
    And i love the trackpad, anyway it could also happen with the mouse.

No confusion: I hate this stupid choice from apple. Just make it customizable.
    I

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm curious, can you duplicate the OP's problem? Is this something with iTunes 10 or Leopard/Snow Leopard?

13. GGJstudios, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if you drag a playlist and drop it on another playlist, it adds the songs from the 1st list onto the 2nd, so the songs appear in both playlists. That's working as designed.

14. DewGuy1999, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm assuming that you're using tap-to-click for the the click function of the trackpad, a possible solution to this iTunes Playlist problem may be to turn off tap-to-click as that would make it more difficult to accidentally click and drag Playlists (or other things) around.

I just now realized that I misunderstood the OPs original post, I thought they meant that the Playlists themselves were being duplicated, duh!