Rearranging/deleting icons and selecting text

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I figured out that you don't press down on the icon, you just hold your finger there for a few seconds and then the app starts jiggling. No way really to confuse with 3D Touch.

What I haven't figured out is how to select text using the 3D Touch method. I press hard on the screen and get the trackpad where I can move the cursor around but how do you select text? I haven't gotten this to work on the iPad either. What's the magic sauce?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Doesn't work for me. :(

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I also noticed that the first time you download a new app on the phone you get a pop up message explaining how to move/rearrange apps and create additional home screens. Cool.

5. Cryates macrumors 6502a

It's got a slight learning curve, but I figured it out earlier and it's pretty easy after a few try's.

6. Uccle macrumors regular

For me it works with a lighter touch, like the one you use for rearranging the icons. But there is a lag so you need to wait a couple of beats before the text selection "handles" appear.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think I figured it out now. You hard press to get the cursor and place it where yon want, then ease up for a second, and then hard press again to get the handles. Works for me on iPhone, iPad not so much. 3D Touch and Taptic Engine soon can't come to iPad soon enough.

8. Uccle macrumors regular

Good grief! No wonder we are having trouble. Brain + finger confusion ;-). And yes, a single unified touch interface will be greatly appreciated.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Don't push harder. Just relax the pressure ever so slightly and press again to select text. That's the technique that works for me.

10. hthodges macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the video. It works!

11. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Really wish there was a way to use this on webpages as that's generally where it's harder to select just what you want. Selecting text in a text field has always been pretty simple and effective.

12. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

If you hold down with a medium pressure you will see a magnifying glass with a word highlighted on a web page. Press harder and it starts highlighting with that word as the beginning. Letting up selects and allows you to copy or whatever.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Wow
    Cool testsh
    wow. This is stellar and probably the best use of 3D Touch I've seen. I don't suppose there is a similar functionality when there is no keyboard? I'm thinking trying to easily copy and paste a paragraph from a web page or some such action.

14. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

No and you still have to deal with Safari's quirks. Like sometimes you just want to select a word and it selects the whole paragraph.

15. Uccle macrumors regular

This works but it's going to take a bit of practice for it to come naturally/without thinking. Thanks!

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Lol. Yeah...
    I was able to sort of kind of get force touch to do what I wanted. I can force touch a single word pretty well. Then press in a bit more and it's the sentence. Once again and to the paragraph. I actually kind of like the feature, however I think it will take a lot of training. I do quite a bit of copy paste and so I THINK I can see this being useful. I'm happy that there is functionality beyond peak and pop on an app, which to me is more of s gimmick than anything else. You still end up opening the damn app to do anything with it (lol) so I just don't see the point.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I need to give attribution for the video. It wasn't done by me. It was done by user fury on everythingicafe.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It definitely take some practice.

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It works with only the stock keyboard, apparently. Perhaps third-party keyboard developers will be able to add this functionality.