rearranging files on windows partition (on bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liquidsense, Mar 4, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I'm very new to the Apple scene. But I've been using this great forum to help myself along in various issues. I recently installed XP via bootcamp on a 25GB partition on my new MBP. I was wondering: am I able to rearrange the icons in my Windows partition while I'm on OSX without harm?

In particular, I have a Windows icon on my OSX desktop. When I open it, there are a whole slew of files and folders, including, but not limited to: autoexec.bat, boot.ini, config.sys, io.sys, msdos.sys, and program files.

Can I move all of that into a separate folder?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so you have the Boot Camp partition hard drive icon on your desktop thats named "Untitled"? inside there is the Windows operating system. its the "C:" drive and those files are invisible when viewed in Windows just like Mac OS X has a lot of invisible files at the top part of the hard drive i.e. "Macintosh HD".

i wouldnt touch them as Windows will most likely not boot if they are moved. if you want the Boot Camp partition to be invisible boot into windows and rename "Local Disk C:" to ".[anything]".