Rearranging keys on new keyboard (Dvorak :))

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RMo, Aug 16, 2007.

1. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Does anyone know if the keys on the new wired aluminum keyboard can be popped off and rearranged, specifically into Dvorak layout? (I have seen pictures on Flickr of somebody doing this to his MacBook, so if the keyboards are at all similar in how the keys are stuck on I'm sure it would also be possible, but I was wondering if anyone had any actual knowledge. I also know it was easily do-able with the older white+clear keyboard, but I don't really like the feel of that keyboard. Even after using one for two years, it's typo city for me--no matter what layout I use. :p I've heard good things about the new keyboard, though.)

And yes, I know I don't need to actually rearrange the keys, but I'm new to Dvorak (a.k.a., I need properly arranged keys sometimes and you don't want to see me type without them) and would hate to have to give up learning it just because my soon-to-be-new-keyboard isn't up for it.

In related news, I wish they made the new keyboard in full-size Bluetooth. It's for my MacBook (whose built-in keyboard I think I am going to leave alone!), and there's no way I would want to by an expensive external keyboard and NOT have it be full size--I've already got a small one on my Mac, thank you very much. (Oddly, I'm mostly concerned about Cmd+Shift+Left Arrow, the Mac equivalent of Shift+Home on the PC, which selects all the text to the left of the cursor in the current line. I use it a lot for some reason, and it looks like there's NO way to comfortably do that on the new wireless keyboard since the arrow keys are awkwardly jammed under Shift. Too bad, it would have been nice to have all Bluetooth peripherals ... well, except for that external display.)

Thanks to anyone who might have any input!

2. 23am macrumors regular

23am

Anyone tried to re-arrange the keys?
    I'm gonna change my layout to svorak/dvorak as soon as I get the iMac w/ Bluetooth-keyboard, so I wonder if it's something I should have in mind when changing them.

3. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Not trying to be a snob about this, but it might actually be better for you to learn Dvorak without having marked keys! I retrained myself to touch-type at the same time that I learned Dvorak (coming from a hunt-and-peck QWERTY background) and it only took a couple months to transition completely.

4. d5280 macrumors newbie

changing keyboard

it's actually pretty easy if you've ever done it on a mac book pro. except it's reversed. use an exacto knife to lift up the top of the key, then slide your finger under from he top right until you hear a click the slide your finger to the left until you hear another click. then lift up the key to remove it.

then rearrange the keys and viola!

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

It would be nice if they would sell one on apple.com.

Note to Apple: I would much rather just buy an extra one...