Reason 4.0 Multiple track problems - HELP

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lettersxhome, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lettersxhome macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums, but I am hoping you all could help me out. Recently I got Reason 4.0 and an M-Audio Axiom 25 controller to create some homemade beats and tunes for fun as a side project.

I have my controller hooked up and working well, but the problem arises when I am trying to deal with more than one audio track.

I create a beat using Redrum within Reason. Once I have that looping I pull down a synthesizer to start creating anything and it won't work. It recognizes the keys are hit and that I want something to play, but while I have Redrum running I can't hear anything besides Redrum. The only way to get the synth to make a sound is to close out of the project, start a new one and only use a synthesizer.

I have been thinking that it is the Macbook's internal sound card. Is it possible that it isn't powerful enough to support multiple track outputs. Does anyone know of a solution or a way around this? I have looked into external audio ports like the M-Audio FastTrac, but I dont know that this will solve my problem.

PLEASE HELP.

I am currently running on a 1st Gen Black Macbook with 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, I got it with all the fixings when the Macbook first dropped like 3 years ago.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I dounbt the problem is the audio interface. If you can hear any sound at all it's working fine. The software would mix the sounds from the various track before passing off the mix to the sound system. I no nothing about Reason but I bet you have a tack muted or something lkke that.

If you were using Logic or Grarage band you'd get more help here. Why not try GB and verify that your hardware is up to the job.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

where is the synth (2nd instrument) routed? do you have a mixer setup in reason to combine sources?

If you push "tab" you can see the back of everything. Make sure your cables are all hooked up right.

4. lettersxhome thread starter macrumors newbie

I will look into the mixer. That is an item I have yet to figure out. When I first got my M-Audio Axiom 25, I plugged it in, opened Reason and used Redrum. I have really only tinkered with one device in Reason at a time. I am really quite inexperienced with Reason so any help here is good.

Do you think it is worth picking up a manual or something like that to figure it all out or would that be not a worthwhile investment.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the manual is pretty deep... you can get lost really easily. (i have).

When using the program as a stand alone (not in conjunction with protools for example) everything has to be fed out 1 and 2. The first part of you chain should be the mixer, and everything should feed into that. The mixer main out should then feed to Out 1 and 2.

6. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

Few questions.

Redrum can be programmed with out a Midi Keyboard... So did you actually use the Keyboard to Program your Redrum or did you use the Mouse...

If you used the Keyboard and you know its working within Reason.. Go to next Step..

- If your sound is working on your keyboard and you make a Second Track (NNXT)

- you will see a Midi Symbol next to the Picture of the Virtual Instrument on the track your using..

- that midi symbol shows if the midi is going to the Proper Track. ( I think it turns Red when Midi Goes thru the Track)

- if its still going into your first Track all you should need to do it Click the midi Symbol next to the track you want your Midi on.

I dont have my reason in front of me but will tonight and if you don't have an answer by then ill give you a hand..

7. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I'm an ableton junkie myself so I may be wrong, but this seems like a pretty general problem that people have with Ableton also... If you are creating the first beat with the axiom 25 then you probably have to arm that track so that it's receiving the midi input. Do you know if you need to then arm the new synth track, so that Reason knows that's where it should start sending the messages? Because if you have the controller connected correctly and everything set up right, but none of the midi tracks are armed to record the midi input, then you will see the lights flashing (or whatever it is that shows you're receiving midi messages), but they won't make any sound.

8. lettersxhome thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Axiom 25, and got an Ableton Live lite version with the controller. I initially messed around with Ableton and enjoyed it, but when it comes to multi-tracking and basic straight forward interface, Reason beat it out.

I was confused by the Ableton interface. But on another note, I figured out my multi-track problem and am now well on my way to stumbling through Reason and figuring things out.