Reason behind launchd "issue" (ReportCrash.Self)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by serpient4, Sep 4, 2010.

1. serpient4 macrumors newbie

First off this is not a serious problem, more a failure and solution analysis out of interest. If you enjoy this kind of thing feel free to participate :)

I kept getting these in my syslog:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[77] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

I have since fixed the issue by following this tip:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192563

however i put the apple.com.ReportCrash.Self.plist from /System/Library/LaunchAgents to /Library/LaunchAgents and NOT as described to the <user>/Library/LaunchAgents so it would work globally and for new users as well.

The messages have since left completely, after a single time getting
    com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[79] com.apple.ReportCrash.Self: Already loaded

this happened when the file existed at both locations (in /System/Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchAgents)

All of these messages appeared only after system startups.

My question is what difference it makes for these files whether they reside in /System/Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchAgents? And of course: What would be the most natural solution for this problem?

2. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

You received no other errors? When I tried this I got a new error.

com.apple.launchctl.LoginWindow[79] launchctl: Dubious ownership on file (skipping): /Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.Self.plist

The reason behind this error is when I authenticate the copy into the launchagents folder permissions are changed, they become (User), System, & Everyone instead of System, Wheel, & Everyone.

Repair disk permissions did not fix the error in the console log so I restored it to how I had it before.

In general this error shows up a lot on console logs of various users when they have other problems, so I always assumed it was one of those "ok" errors from Apple.

3. serpient4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

on my machine the procedure I described worked just fine (I think i did chown it however)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.Self.plist
    -r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 619 4 Nov 2009 com.apple.ReportCrash.Self.plist

this would be
    sudo chown root:wheel
    chmod 444 com.apple.ReportCrash.Self.plist

I also did a archive&install since back then so this should be about right.

My Log goes something like this:

19.11.10 13:22:44 com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
    19.11.10 13:23:07 com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[112] com.apple.ReportCrash.Self: Already loaded

best regards :)