Reason for an extra *old* computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by swb1192, Jul 27, 2008.

1. swb1192 macrumors 6502

Someone has offered me to have an iMac G3 (yeah, one of those crazy colored Macs) for free, but I'm not sure if I would need it. I already have a white iMac, so of course mine is already far better. But what could be some uses for the G3?

2. aosman macrumors 6502

3. swb1192 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take out the CRT and motherboard; get a cheap ITX motherboard and cheap LCD panel and run it as a file server or cheap internet computer.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

6. jroller macrumors regular

I have two in my lab running Tiger that I still use with my students who I am teaching Photoshop and InDesign (albeit slowly). While they are nothing compared to current offerings, they are still usable computers. They will do word processing, web surfing, iTunes, etc just fine. The real question is a personal one: what would YOU want it to do...?

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I've learned not to take stuff just because it's free, if I don't need it. It's one more thing to store, to take up space, to use your electricity.

And a G3? That's like Pentium II era computing -- incredibly outdated. I'd pass unless you have a real interest in old computers or a particular use for an outdated machine.

8. sambapati87 macrumors member

I use my PowerBook G3 daily. They are extremely capable. Give them plenty of RAM and OS X 10.3 or 10.4.

9. swb1192 thread starter macrumors 6502

looked at it today. it has os9 and just isn't worth my time/space in my room.