Reason for Apple Refurb Price Drop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Dec 11, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Apple has dropped the refurb price on the iPad 2.

Sign that a retina iPad 3 will come early in the new year, or with many under $200 tablets available are sales slowing?

2. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I saw the price drop a couple of days ago. It made me wonder if the next iPad release was getting close. They took an additional $30 off bringing the total discount for a refurbed iPad 2 to $80 off.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Likely a response to growing inventory of refurbs and/or the sales of the Amazon Fire.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Whenever I see refurb prices drop then I quit recommending it when people ask me. These price drops dont always mean a new product is imminent, but with Apple and their secrecy then its too high a risk to buy when you have no idea what the next gen's "big feature" is going to be.

But in terms of things that are now speculated for an update in the next quarter then I'd assume the AppleTV 3, iPad 2S/iPad 3 and some sort of more advanced Time Capsule that also works as an iTunes server.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPad 3 will be most likely released in about 2-3 months.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

More than likely to boost Christmas sales?

I see that most Apple products (refurbished) have a price drop:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Refurbs can be in any shape, and perhaps the cream of them have been sold at the higher price, with the bottom of the barrel left. The lower price is also likely to be a competitive move to battle Christmas tablet competition.

8. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There is no such thing as a bad refurb from Apple.

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Except for the one they sent me, apparently. Scratches on the back, light leak at screen edges.

10. mmf01 macrumors member

Your not alone. I too received an iPad from AppleCare with light-leak issues. This only took me down the path of another 10 refurbs, all with other problems. The link below explains more of my refurb adventures.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13994629&postcount=10

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Those ipads were returned for a reason. ;)

12. warghh macrumors newbie

The Aussie store price hasn't dropped which is a shame, because I really wanted to pick one up at Christmas.

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes and then Apple fixed whatever problem(s) the had.

Look up the definition of refurbished ;)

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Then why are people still having issues like bleeding backlights with refurbs, if they were tested so extensively for faults? By your logic, there should be no reason to ever get a brand new ipad, since it may be prone to defects. May as well wait for refurbs, which are typically cheaper and have already been fixed/tested.

From what I know, apple simply changes the batt and casing. The original problem may or may not have been detected and/or fixed. :confused:

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would buy a refurb in a heart beat. They replace the case, battery AND any issues it had. You still get a 1 year warranty (most companies will offer a 90 day warranty on refubs) and you can get Applecare on top of it.

My probably with refurbs is waiting for them to show up in the refub store.

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I bet a big reason for it is that retailers are occasionally discounting new iPad 2's by $50, so Apple seemed a bit cheap in offering the same discount for a refurbished model.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You answered your own question. Apple changes the battery and the housing. They're not about to rip out the screen for a problem only known to a small percentage of obsessed forum members. The average soccer mom getting a refurbed iPad doesn't even know what backlight bleed is.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why would any company replace the battery if the device is only a few days or weeks old and the battery is working perfectly?

Do you think Apple would replace perfect batteries that perform 100% up to spec because they just enjoy taking the time and spending the money to do so?

And then have to pay for safe disposal of all these perfect batteries.

No, I don't think they would either.

You really really believe Apple would pay the cost and spend the time to replace the battery on a device that may only have been brand new and sold the day before it was returned for backlight bleed?

If the case is 100% mark free, the battery is up to spec, and the screen is within their quality control specs, apart from giving it a clean, they are not going to do anything to it before it's sold as a refurb, why would they, as it would not be any better after all the time and money spent on it.

19. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Read what Apple states in relation to refurbished iPads. Can you imagine the lawsuits Apple would go through if it's found that it does not do the work as stated in this page?
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

20. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Lol shows you don't know much on the subject.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I wish people who made these sort of statements would walk the talk by enlightening me further, rather than just leaving it at that. :(

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Because they don't now how the 1st owner treated the battery then they 1st got the iPad. It's probably cheaper to replace the battery in the long run also, to make sure the customer doesn't have any issues with it. And you think they pay to disposal of them? They probably get a deal from whoever makes them.
    I also said nothing about screens, unless it's damage and yes they will replace it.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Being in manufacturing/quality control myself, I've seen things that you would not like to know happens, and what's said is done, in my experience anyway, is not always what is done.

Let's be honest none of us know.

Say I buy an iPad, take it home, and within 1 hour I'm back to the store, as I'm a very fussy person and noticed a bit of backlight bleed, which 90% of buyers would not grumble about.
    So they are going to strip the device apart and fit a new battery for no reason.

24. Irishman macrumors 68030

Are you just pulling possible problems out of your ass? That's what it seems like. LOL

Who is "still" having bleeding backlight issues specific to refurbed iPads?

From what you know, apple "simply changes the batt and casing". And just how do you know the inner workings of Apple's refurb process?

Finally, you said "the original problem may or may not have been detected and/or fixed". That would mean that Apple's tech support would have to be among the worst on the planet. Do you have documentation that this is true?

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The bleeding backlight was just one of many a possible scenario. Maybe the owner dropped it hard on the floor and damaged the internals?

The ipad could have been returned for any of a variety of reasons. If it was a simple case of buyer's remorse, then good for apple. That ipad is as good as new, and little/no maintenance would be necessary. Or if the damage was wholly physical (like a cracked screen, missing home button or dents on the casing), it is easy to spot and remedy. However, this assumes the customer was honest about this upfront, and not hiding some issue on his side.

Basically, my point is that I stand by my belief that there is no free lunch in this world. You want quality stuff, you need to be prepared to pay good money for it. Once in a while, if you search hard enough, you may get a good deal, but to me, the savings on a refurb ipad is just too little (relative to the price of an ipad) to justify the risks you would be opening yourself to. I would rather just buy a fresh ipad from the store. But maybe that's just me. :)