Reason for not using the default workout app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Dentifrice, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hi,

So I tried multiple 3rd party workout apps over the years but always got back to the default apple watch app.

What is your reasons to use another ? And which one do you use ?

thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The only workouts that I care about are for running. The reason that I don't use the stock workout app is that you can only view the details on the iPhone. I want to see the GPS maps in more detail. I want to see more information about the runs, maybe compare times from previous runs. Apple doesn't have web access to your workout data.

So for me, I use iSmoothRun to track my runs. I upload that data to SmashRun.com, Garmin Connect, and Nike.

3. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

If you don't have a Series 3 Watch, then you won't get any elevation data on runs.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's not true. I have an S2 and as long as you carry the iPhone with you, you'll get elevation data.

5. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

It's true if you don't want to run with an iPhone...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2018 ---
    Sorry if I had known that I had to take allowance for using an iPhone when answering the posed question then I would have obviously not posted about elevation data :/

7. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Does anyone know how often the stock activity apps, (any of them, or does it vary?) takes a heart rate reading? I did a short test of my AW3SS, and the HR graph is very "blocky". Wondering if an external HR monitor would mean more readings, or if I'm missing something. Anyone?

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I can't say what the S3 does, but on my S2, the HR readings are at 1 second intervals when using the built-in sensor. I'm pretty sure that it's the same whether I use the stock workout app or a 3rd party app.

Sometimes (although not lately), I use a Polar H7 Bluetooth HR strap. When I connect it to my AW, it records HR continuously at 6 readings per second. That leads to a ton of data that makes it very difficult to scroll through from the Health app.