Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
When looking at other laptops with similar thickness to the new Macbook it's clear why there could have only been one small port on the Macbook: Apple's desire to taper the edges to create an appearance that the laptop is thinner than it really is. "Deceptive design" over "Practical design".

B_wsC-sWwAEfpi0.jpg:large

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
When looking at other laptops with similar thickness to the new Macbook it's clear why there could have only been one small port on the Macbook: Apple's desire to taper the edges to create an appearance that the laptop is thinner than it really is. "Deceptive design" over "Practical design".

They know what sells.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I don't look at it as deceptive. I look at it as beauty.

Also, if one uses a docking adapter when the plugged in, who needs the extra ports? On batteries, I only need one port.

(Your needs may be different)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
there is nothing to be deceived by. The MB is thinner in some spots than others. That's what a wedge design is...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
talk about deceptive - there is no way that picture is to scale!

Queen6

macrumors G4
It`a also a key component of Apple`s design philosophy. The new Macbook will no doubt evolve to be the computer Steve Jobs always wanted to bring to market...

Apple`s has never been about giving you what you want, Apple is about bring innovation, which you may, or may not care for...

Q-6

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
talk about deceptive - there is no way that picture is to scale!

The picture is to appeal to people who can't do math.

If that image was actually true to scale, than the Yoga would have to be 10mm thick, not 12.8 mm.

I bet Apple could have fit two extra USB ports in the MB. But they thought this would be more elegant. Form trumps function is a long-held Apple tradition, started by Steve Jobs in the days of the Apple II.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
One port is stupid. They easily could have done two, like the Chromebook Pixel.

Having to choose between power or a peripheral is ignorance.

People were expecting a replacement for their Air, this is a netbook.

I was hoping for something much better. Much.

I'd rather them just put OSX in the iPad and get it over with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
One port is stupid. They easily could have done two, like the Chromebook Pixel.

Having to choose between power or a peripheral is ignorance.

People were expecting a replacement for their Air, this is a netbook.

I was hoping for something much better. Much.

I'd rather them just put OSX in the iPad and get it over with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

Yeah, it's sad. The refusal to upgrade the Air into a real laptop, and decision to instead run this "experiment" of a device that is underpowered and too much ahead of its time port-wise, has made me decide to ditch Apple for good. And I'm usually pretty loyal -- in the case of the iPhone I waited 2 years for them to start offering the larger screens everyone including myself wanted. Eventually I switched and it was a good decision -- now that they finally listened to their customers and offer bigger screens I I gave iOS another try yet hardly ever use my iPhone 6. Nexus 6 is on me 90% of the time.

I'll be moving to Dell's functionally designed XPS13 with Linux instead of to Apple's deceptively designed netbook. Perhaps in a year or two I'll look back at Macs and OS X in the same way I did with smartphones.

In that case the iPad would be my only remaining Apple device (although their stubborn refusal to make the speakers user-facing pisses me off, so I'm ready to pull the trigger and move to an alternative tablet as soon as the competition offers a viable one).

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, it's sad. The refusal to upgrade the Air into a real laptop, and decision to instead run this "experiment" of a device that is underpowered and too much ahead of its time port-wise, has made me decide to ditch Apple for good. And I'm usually pretty loyal -- in the case of the iPhone I waited 2 years for them to start offering the larger screens everyone including myself wanted. Eventually I switched and it was a good decision -- now that they finally listened to their customers and offer bigger screens I I gave iOS another try yet hardly ever use my iPhone 6. Nexus 6 is on me 90% of the time.

I'll be moving to Dell's functionally designed XPS13 with Linux instead of to Apple's deceptively designed netbook. Perhaps in a year or two I'll look back at Macs and OS X in the same way I did with smartphones.

In that case the iPad would be my only remaining Apple device (although their stubborn refusal to make the speakers user-facing pisses me off, so I'm ready to pull the trigger and move to an alternative tablet as soon as the competition offers a viable one).
Thats interesting. I bought a iP6 and actually prefer the form factor of my old iP5 (and iOS 6 for that matter).

I really like the design and attention to detail that Apple has, but they just forgo any logic in terms of functionality sometimes, it's very frustrating.

It's also VERY hard to pass on the value for dollar you can get in a Dell notebook.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
The xps is functional but doesn't look as nice as the new MacBook. There will be a multi function dock at some point, why is everyone so worried about this.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Thats interesting. I bought a iP6 and actually prefer the form factor of my old iP5 (and iOS 6 for that matter).

I really like the design and attention to detail that Apple has, but they just forgo any logic in terms of functionality sometimes, it's very frustrating.

It's also VERY hard to pass on the value for dollar you can get in a Dell notebook.

Oh I absolutely prefer the iP6 over the iP5! It's just that I prefer Vanilla Android over iOS. And hardware wise, the front facing speakers on Android devices alone are enough to win me over, as well as the lack of a physical home button (believe me, having to depress the iPhone's home button bugs the crap out of you once you've tried using a Nexus phone, as well as the lack of consistently located back and multi-tasking buttons). That's why even though i have both a Nexus 6 and an iPhone 6, the iPhone is mostly a toy I like to play with a bit when I'm at home but I never take it out of the house because it's just too unpractical, comparatively speaking.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
The xps is functional but doesn't look as nice as the new MacBook. There will be a multi function dock at some point, why is everyone so worried about this.
A USB Dock is a "dock".
Oh I absolutely prefer the iP6 over the iP5! It's just that I prefer Vanilla Android over iOS. And hardware wise, the front facing speakers on Android devices alone are enough to win me over, as well as the lack of a physical home button (believe me, having to depress the iPhone's home button bugs the crap out of you once you've tried using a Nexus phone, as well as the lack of consistently located back and multi-tasking buttons). That's why even though i have both a Nexus 6 and an iPhone 6, the iPhone is mostly a toy I like to play with a bit when I'm at home but I never take it out of the house because it's just too unpractical, comparatively speaking.
I went through a bajillion Android phones before moving to iOS (jailbroken).

I hated the onscreen navigation buttons using up valuable real estate.

I wish manufacturers would make premium small phones again. I have a tablet for large screen needs.

I've also found iPhone has the best use of screen space, with Android, bigger screens usually just mean bigger things on the screen.

I remember being able to fit more content on my iP5 than a Nexus 5.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Look, do we really care how the other companies' laptops look? They're made of plastic. They cram specs in regardless of performance. Ya, ya... but what really matters is that they all run friggin WINDOWS.
WINDOWS!! Does no one here realize the pile of stinking crap that is WINDOWS?!
Windows 8 is what CURED me of PCs, and brought me out of the dark side to OSX freedom and joy.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Another reason for the single port

Apple is obsessed and going back to the olden days of 1-cable solution of the apple universal serial port.

1-port, 1-button, 1-cable, is Jobs-zen.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
There is room for 2x USB-C ports :)

----------

Look, do we really care how the other companies' laptops look? They're made of plastic. They cram specs in regardless of performance. Ya, ya... but what really matters is that they all run friggin WINDOWS.
WINDOWS!! Does no one here realize the pile of stinking crap that is WINDOWS?!
Windows 8 is what CURED me of PCs, and brought me out of the dark side to OSX freedom and joy.

At least a windows laptop can hold a wireless connection ;) that is when I care about my crap windows laptop, when my rMBP drops its wireless after an OSX update.... Minor point , though kinda annoys me at times.....

Queen6

macrumors G4
I looked at in the latest 13" MBPr, specifically the new "Trackpad" this afternoon and the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 in some detail, had to see for myself;

Apple`s "Force Trackpad" it`s good, really good, but can't help but think it`s a more complex way to achieve a simple task. This being said and done I can see Apple building on this and adding further functionality and feedback.

The Trackpad does travel infinitesimally across the whole area, you can tune the "Force Feedback" to your taste, absolutely no degradation on the previous trackpad, extremely accurate. I like it, very impressed, such a small difference, however after spending time with the new 13" MBPr, my own Retina`s feel strangely rather dead, being devoid of the feedback.

Such a small difference, equally the new trackpad is absolutely going to be one of those things that defines the Mac user experience and you wont want to go back. At the end of the day we are tactile by nature, so in many respects it make a lot of sense that our computers can respond accordingly :apple:

The Yoga Pro 3 is by no means a bad system, I found the performance reasonable, certainly within my expectations. Ideally I would want to view one on Windows 10 for obvious reason.

No complaint with the build quality, the Yoga 3 Pro is a well put together system. Yes it does flex, this hardly surprising given how impossibly thin the chassis is, equally it requires significant force. All kudos to Lenovo for still implementing standard ports in such a minimalistic form factor, nice display, the hinge is a work of art and helps to damp the bounce when utilising the touch screen. I can`t help but think how useful and versatile this form factor is, however not fir me wrong OS :)

Up next the new MacBook what else :cool:

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple could have added more ports and the OP illustrated this, yet for reasons of aesthetics, apple again decided form over function. They want the laptop to look certain way and basically having a single port for charging/usb was the solution.

I think at some point we'll see an even thinner design, no ports, and the use of inductive charging, just because this is what apple does.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple aways will choose to have more elegant products than practical
This days design sells and nothing else
Same happen to the car industry and watches and furniture and so on..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.