Reason for SSD failures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ataboc, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ataboc macrumors 6502

Howdy, I've got a late 2012 11" MBA. To date, I've had two SSDs fail. The OEM :apple: drive and now an OWC SSD.

Are failures of this rate typical?

Never had a problem with an OZ SSD nor my 27' iMac.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I wouldn't call them typical overall, but there have been a few notable mess ups. Like the 128GB drives on the 2012 MBA models, that apparently had lousy firmware that caused premature failure of many of them.

The problems that are cropping aren't so much with the SSD technology itself, but with things like the support hardware and firmware that have bugs, or software that isn't quite optimized to handle SSD storage, which MUST be treated a bit differently from traditional hard drives.

Hard drives aren't perfect either though.Ask anyone who's bought Western Digital drives recently, or the Seagate 1.5TB drives back in 2008, or ask an IT person about the reputation of Hitachi "DeathStar" drives.

Meanwhile, we've been using a cheaper, slightly slower form of SSD for years and haven't really paid much attention to it. It's in our smartphones and tablets.

5. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

Sadly no. One month past the 12 month warranty. I almost always buy apple care on ebay before the window closes. I waited too long!

I couldn't say. But if it needs to be enabled than probably not.

Ahh. Well, that does answer my question a bit that others have had problems with that year... I've used SSDs since 2008 and have had no problems until this MBA. Thank god for being able to boot off an external!

6. leman macrumors 604

7. robvas macrumors 68020

It should be covered if it was one of the faulty drives

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

8. ataboc, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that i no longer have the original drive. I called :apple: and I now have a genius bar appt but I'm rather certain that they'll turn me away due to the fact that there's no drive installed in the computer. I just RMAed the OWC drive back to them for testing and hopefully replacement.

No fault of Apple's because I understand their position, but it sure would be nice to have standard 3 year applecare.

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You're wasting your time if you go there with a machine with no drive when the issue you are going there for is a defective SSD (that you no longer have). They aren't going to do anything for you. To get you a replacement drive you need to turn in the broken one.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

11. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. Should have kept it.