Reason for the extra week between pre-order and release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protobiont, Sep 10, 2015.

1. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Any idea why Apple is taking an extra week between the preorder date and the release date this year? In past years, you pre-ordered on a Friday and got the phone the following Friday.

One guess is if they wanted to avoid starting pre-orders on 9/11, it didn't leave enough time to have the phones delivered by the 18th, and they only want to release the phone on a Friday for some reason. Just curious if anyone had read any other reasons behind this change...

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

More production problems? A good reason to get your order in early...

3. ricktat macrumors 65816

This allows for more sales on launch weekend. Taking 2 weeks worth of business and putting it into 1. Same total numbers but they look better as sales in 1 weekend.
    or
    The phones just aren't ready

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

My hopeful answer is so they can crank out more units.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Actually it makes complete sense. Given the additional color scheme this year, they will be able to better understand demand by model depending on which models are sought after with pre-orders and produce the models more accurately to satisfy demand.

Unfortunately with any new iPhone component, I'm worried 3D touch will cause supply constraint issues.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

So they can ship all of the Apple financed phones to stores and have them ready.

7. Ninerboy81 macrumors regular

Ninerboy81

Yea I agree with the posters about being able to supply the demand. With a whole extra week to supply the demand and if they see that a certain color or size requires more supply they they would have a whole extra week to supply it.