Reason not to upgrade

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
What’s an Apple Watch Series 3 without cellular connection? An Apple Watch Series 2.
I have no need for LTE plus $10 a month is not worth it and $649.00 for stainless steel ....ouch! My series 2 is a stainless and I see little change in terms of speed compared to series 3

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
What’s an Apple Watch Series 3 without cellular connection? An Apple Watch Series 2.
Not quite.

I have no need for LTE plus $10 a month is not worth it and $649.00 for stainless steel ....ouch! My series 2 is a stainless and I see little change in terms of speed compared to series 3
I feel the speed difference to be quite significant. Plus twice the storage, AirPower support, pressure sensor, better speaker (good for Siri & phone calls), Siri talking, better battery time ...

I perfectly understand that someone with a stainless series 2 does not feel compelled to upgrade and that is perfectly fine. But the improvements can't be argued away and they are substantial.

jthiele87

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
I have to disagree. I upgraded from a Series 2 and do not use LTE. It's much snappier, faster. Siri talks. Which is huge for me. Sorry, but the upgrade was worth it for me.

Reactions: bnekic

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Not exactly accurate - the Series 3 is substantially faster both the CPU and the communications chip, which now allows pretty speedy downloading of podcasts directly to the watch over WiFi (WatchPlayer). I believe it is also more power efficient making the battery quite a bit better.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Not quite.

I feel the speed difference to be quite significant. Plus twice the storage, AirPower support, pressure sensor, better speaker (good for Siri & phone calls), Siri talking, better battery time ...

I perfectly understand that someone with a stainless series 2 does not feel compelled to upgrade and that is perfectly fine. But the improvements can't be argued away and they are substantial.
What does the pressure sensor do?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I think that’s in reference to the altimeter that tracks relative elevation gain, which is really nice for runners and others that want to track that info.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Probably used the wrong word. I mean that barometric thingy measuring height changes to detect stair climbs.
[doublepost=1508542498][/doublepost]
Yup sorry, my bad.
Ohh okay thanks! Sorry i'm in the market to get a watch and i'm deciding between the 2 and 3 and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything with the 3 haha.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The upgraded processor and the extra memory appeal to me, but since I would basically have to give away my series 2 since resale values are so lousy, I'll have to pass...for now...

Reactions: bhodinut

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The upgraded processor and the extra memory appeal to me, but since I would basically have to give away my series 2 since resale values are so lousy, I'll have to pass...for now...
The Apple Watch has to be that one product that just plummets when a new one is released. Even iPhones, iPads and other Apple products do fairly well for older resale value, but the Apple Watch really suffers. Sometimes it's just worth keeping it versus selling in general.

Reactions: jbachandouris

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
I decided to stay put with my S0 for another year.
I see all those standalone features I want that are introduced with the S2 and now S3. But then again I know that my phone is with me 99.9% of the time and I am not missing out on much of the features. The watch could be faster though. But as I know just this watch and never touched the newer models I'm not spoiled with speed. Battery life was bad for almost two month during 3.something but is now back to normal again (38 sport with 5-10% left after 18h including 45min run with phone).

For me the biggest reason not to upgrade is the eSim and its selectivity with carriers outside the us. I would have gotten a new one if the "to rule them all" LTE feature wasn't just a "to rule at least some in some highly specific way under certain circumstances" LTE feature.

Next year then! Hopefully with LTE for all carriers (I know the problem is carrierer-side) and roaming within Europe (carrier-side).

And I will keep the 38 when I upgrade next year. Hopefully iOS5 can make it to S0 so I won't run into OS problems. For me wOS4 is better then wOS3 and earlier.

Reactions: gjr74

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I decided to stay put with my S0 for another year.
For me wOS4 is better then wOS3 and earlier.
That sounds good. So much for the "Built-in obsolescence" brigade.

I am finding my S0 a tad slow with Siri however, and will be upgrading to the S3. We don't roam much outside Australia, but I agree eventually you'd want LTE and multi-country roaming to be supported.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The Apple Watch has to be that one product that just plummets when a new one is released. Even iPhones, iPads and other Apple products do fairly well for older resale value, but the Apple Watch really suffers. Sometimes it's just worth keeping it versus selling in general.
I got $100 cash for my Series 0 - core only (kept band, charging cable and brick) - used OfferUp - was very happy to get that and think there is a demand because some just want an Apple Watch and don’t care that much which generation partly because they look the same. There was a lot of demand for it too many backup buyers.

Reactions: HeathH

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
These are like BMWs, you're supposed to get rid of them every 2-3 years and only put x amount of miles
I don't necessarily consider an Apple Watch a fair comparison to a BMW. Apple devices tend to last much longer than they are supported in many cases. Which in theory, someone could still use the Apple Watch outside watchOS support and assuming it's operating as normal. However, BMWs are vehicles that will last up to 200,000+ miles. Pending if somebody leases or owns, that's a big difference alone.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Reason not to upgrade: Apple only made the LTE version with ceramic back. The wifi only version gets the cheap composite back (that can scratch easier).
There's no way I'm going to "upgrade" my S2 with ceramic back to an inferior S3 wifi. And worse, Apple is not selling the LTE model in every market.

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
Not true.. only the LTE model has 16GB. GPS only model remains at 8GB
Is there a functional reason for that? Why not just give both 16gb?
[doublepost=1508682254][/doublepost]
These are like BMWs, you're supposed to get rid of them every 2-3 years and only put x amount of miles
It’s been awhile since we’ve seen a car comparison. Well done

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Is there a functional reason for that? Why not just give both 16gb?
[doublepost=1508682254][/doublepost]
It’s been awhile since we’ve seen a car comparison. Well done
To get it as cheap as possible the Series 3 GPS is a pretty decent price drop over the Series 2 - by making it a composite back and 8GB it cuts costs. The LTE Watch is only $30 more than the Series 2 was