Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
This is just a guess, but I was wondering if the reason the iphone and iPT are locked down so tight is simply the iTunes Store? Maybe Apple is afraid of crackers breaking into iTms.app(or whatever it's called), and stealing songs or maybe even personal info like credit card numbers or phone numbers, etc. Just a thought. Any comments/insights?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
maybe you can post same question to macbook, macbook pro, imac, mac mini, mac pro....

atil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Ho Ho Ho. It is to laugh. Your sarcasm is duly noted and ignored.

OS 10.x probably went through a more stringent testing process than the iPT did. This is evidenced by the numerous bugs and slowdowns in the iPTs OS. Therfore, a break in security is obviously more possible for the iPT.

Anyone with any constructive comments, as opposed to the above?

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
A few spring to mind, I'm sure there are many more:

1 - Stabililty - they don't want 3rd party apps crashing the iPT and giving the impression that the hardware is unreliable

2 - Protecting sales of other Apple products - Who's going to buy an iPhone, or perhaps a future PDA of some sort if the iPT can do all this with 3rd party apps for less $$$

3 - Future plans to sell addons for the iPT maybe?

Adam

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
A few spring to mind, I'm sure there are many more:

1 - Stabililty - they don't want 3rd party apps crashing the iPT and giving the impression that the hardware is unreliable

2 - Protecting sales of other Apple products - Who's going to buy an iPhone, or perhaps a future PDA of some sort if the iPT can do all this with 3rd party apps for less $$$

Adam

if they wanted to sway people to the iPhone because the iPod touch had less features, then they would have left the iPhone unlock. what you said makes no sense. ones a phone, ones not

atil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007

Adam

I'm hoping that this is the main reason. Given Apple's track record with the downloadable games for the iPod Classic, and the fact that they often do the unexpected with their products. Some ewamples: Intel processors, video on iPods, iPhone, and Wifi on the Touch. Some, like video iPods, were even vehemently denied by Apple, and were told by Jobs himself that video would never happen.

Now where does that leave us? ;)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My guess is that like the AppleTV, Apple really doesn't care about 3rd party applications on the iTouch and iPhone.

However, they don't want the iPhone unlocked (for use on other wireless carriers), and the signing of the applications that they did to make it harder to unlock also pretty much killed third-party apps.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
if they wanted to sway people to the iPhone because the iPod touch had less features, then they would have left the iPhone unlock. what you said makes no sense. ones a phone, ones not

..the actual phone may not be the most important thing the iPhone offers to a potential buyer - I'm not fussed about the fancy voicemail for instance, I'd use it much more for it's PDA functions and if the iPT were to do everything except be a phone then I'd buy one over the iPhone - as a consequence I will buy the iPhone instead therefore they've gained a sale from me as a direct result of feature restricting the iPT.

My personal opinion and situation ... one size does not fit all.

Adam

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
This is just a guess, but I was wondering if the reason the iphone and iPT are locked down so tight is simply the iTunes Store? Maybe Apple is afraid of crackers breaking into iTms.app(or whatever it's called), and stealing songs or maybe even personal info like credit card numbers or phone numbers, etc. Just a thought. Any comments/insights?

The iTunes store was actually cracked some time ago. The store itself doesn't encrypt songs -- iTunes does that on the fly. So some guy reverse-engineered the network protocol that iTMS used so that he could download the songs directly -- without DRM.

Dunno if that would still work. I'm guessing Apple fixed it. But your point is valid. Apple is completely paranoid about letting people run unsigned code on their own devices. Sometimes I'm surprised that I'm even allowed to install 3rd party software on my MacBook. I'm sure Apple would restrict that if they thought they could get away with it.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
The iTunes store was actually cracked some time ago. The store itself doesn't encrypt songs -- iTunes does that on the fly. So some guy reverse-engineered the network protocol that iTMS used so that he could download the songs directly -- without DRM.

Dunno if that would still work. I'm guessing Apple fixed it. But your point is valid. Apple is completely paranoid about letting people run unsigned code on their own devices. Sometimes I'm surprised that I'm even allowed to install 3rd party software on my MacBook. I'm sure Apple would restrict that if they thought they could get away with it.

Got any linkage for that? Google wouldn't help nether would some other websites which I cant really mention on these forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.