Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm currently using my iphone 5 with iOS 8.0.2 installed.
a part from a crash when disabling location from time to time, battery life is incredible and all is perfect (beside i dont have camera roll...)

when i upgraded to 8.1, my battery got much worse and i went back to 8.0

now 8.2 is out, and i dont see any reason to update as I'm not going to buy any apple watch. am i missing something or there is no major update for non watch owners?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nothing major really outside of Apple Watch stuff--various bug fixes and optimizations along with security fixes as many updates include those as well.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

a part from a crash when disabling location from time to time, battery life is incredible and all is perfect (beside i dont have camera roll...)

now 8.2 is out, and i dont see any reason to update as I'm not going to buy any apple watch. am i missing something or there is no major update for non watch owners?

Suggest you upgrade. Older versions are not gonna get signed by Apple sooner or later. Latest updates has patches n bug fixes.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hey everyone,

Bug fixes and refinements.
I can't see how battery life could change between iOS 8.0, 8.1 or 8.2

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Me neither, but it drastically did...I run several tests for days, even opened a thread here, and 8.1.2 was draining as hell while 8.0.2 is solid...thats why I'm so scared.
Also I've read online that 8.1 is slower than 8.0 on iphone 5, mine is still blazing fast!

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Are you serious? It's the latest iOS which includes bug fixes. Just update.

Okay, here it is the random guy judging people for doing what they want with their phones.
I'm off thanks everyone

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I have an iPhone 5. iOS 8.2 is way faster than 8.0.2 (which is definitely slower than 8.1.3).

I suggest you to update.

PS: what battery life do you get?

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I have an iPhone 5. iOS 8.2 is way faster than 8.0.2 (which is definitely slower than 8.1.3).

I suggest you to update.

if i use it a lot, usually 5/6 hours continuous screen on.
in a normal day use, which for me is 1 hour browsing, a LOT of whatsapp and Facebook messenger, instagram and Facebook, usually 13 14 hours

in general i would say i run off battery when I'm around 5/6 hours of screen on

thank you for your comment

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
if i use it a lot, usually 5/6 hours continuous screen on.
in a normal day use, which for me is 1 hour browsing, a LOT of whatsapp and Facebook messenger, instagram and Facebook, usually 13 14 hours

in general i would say i run off battery when I'm around 5/6 hours of screen on

thank you for your comment

3G or wifi? brightness level? Mail accounts? Thanks

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
3G or wifi? brightness level? Mail accounts? Thanks

no mail accounts, only gmail in push
3g mostly
brigthness a little less than half of it

i would say normal day wake up at 6, use phone for 2 hours straight in 3g, youtube fb whatsapp dolphin browser, then in office for 8 hours i check fb and whatsapp and i would say use them for 1 hour and half screen on, when i leave i have maybe 25%

when I'm not using it there is no drain, overnight like 2/3%

iphone 5 got on 2013, never replaced battery

then ofc if i use it like a **************** ill discharge it in no time, but i would define as NO TIME something like 3.5 4 hours! and that would me max brightness and location on with maps and music

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think since it includes bug fixes, that its a good idea to install it.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
no mail accounts, only gmail in push
3g mostly
brigthness a little less than half of it

i would say normal day wake up at 6, use phone for 2 hours straight in 3g, youtube fb whatsapp dolphin browser, then in office for 8 hours i check fb and whatsapp and i would say use them for 1 hour and half screen on, when i leave i have maybe 25%

when I'm not using it there is no drain, overnight like 2/3%

iphone 5 got on 2013, never replaced battery

then ofc if i use it like a **************** ill discharge it in no time, but i would define as NO TIME something like 3.5 4 hours! and that would me max brightness and location on with maps and music
Impressive battery life. I think it's similar to the iPhone 6 one. I can't get more than 5 hours on Wi-Fi and 4 on 3G on my iPhone 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 122

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Impressive battery life. I think it's similar to the iPhone 6 one. I can't get more than 5 hours on Wi-Fi and 4 on 3G on my iPhone 5.

Exactly
i have always had impressive battery life on this particular phone, way more than all of my friends

its true that i keep location disabled unless i need it, brightness at half, but its also true i can count on this phone even after 2 years and thats the reason why I'm reluctant to upgrade....

for example i found this screenshot in my gallery, its not recent but it shows what i mean

i also think your battery life is not good, unless you keep location always on and a bunch of other stuff i dont normally use! there is clearly a mismatch in usage between me and you, or some drain on your part

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There is nothing particular in 8.2 that’s worth upgrading for if you’re holding back for specific reasons. Bug and stability fixes and Apple Watch support, that’s it. If you’re having no issues then skip it.

zoneee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Only issue that i have is when i turn location on and use it and then off, sometimes the settings app will crash. its a known but and it has been fixed on 8.1 that i still retain in 8.0.2. other than that, its perfect. (beside the fact i dont have camera roll lol)

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Exactly
i have always had impressive battery life on this particular phone, way more than all of my friends

its true that i keep location disabled unless i need it, brightness at half, but its also true i can count on this phone even after 2 years and thats the reason why I'm reluctant to upgrade....

for example i found this screenshot in my gallery, its not recent but it shows what i mean

[url=http://s18.postimg.org/3owr0xtlh/IMG_0940_copy.jpg]Image[/url]

i also think your battery life is not good, unless you keep location always on and a bunch of other stuff i dont normally use! there is clearly a mismatch in usage between me and you, or some drain on your part
That's an impressive result. Hai una fortuna sfacciata ;-)

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I think since it includes bug fixes, that its a good idea to install it.

Not only that but he missed all the fixes from 8.1, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 as well. I say update but I am using iP6 and it works great. Don't have a iP5 to compare but I would definitely update if I did.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I suggest you to update.

Is it really way faster? It seems that none of the updates have really had that much of a drastic improvement/change in them (like let's say ios 7.1 had for example).

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Ok then. Don't update, then you won't get the latest bug fixes.

You do realize that it's possible this update CONTAINS bugs, right? You just assume every update is better than the last? It's not.

My iPhone 6 Plus is on 8.1.2. Why? Because, for now, it runs fairly flawlessly. Why risk that on 8.1.3 or 8.2? I don't have a lot of the "bugs" that those updates fix anyway.

Don't get me wrong, when there comes a time when an update contains a feature that I really want, I'll update. Or, if I notice a bug that my current version has, I'll update...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You do realize that it's possible this update CONTAINS bugs, right? You just assume every update is better than the last? It's not.

My iPhone 6 Plus is on 8.1.2. Why? Because, for now, it runs fairly flawlessly. Why risk that on 8.1.3 or 8.2? I don't have a lot of the "bugs" that those updates fix anyway.

Don't get me wrong, when there comes a time when an update contains a feature that I really want, I'll update. Or, if I notice a bug that my current version has, I'll update...

I'm afraid of "not updating" more than updating. I'll take my chances. While I generally had no "big" issues with 8.1.2 or 8.1.3, 8.2 did fix a few things like rotate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.