Reason why I think we'll be getting landscape Mail and SMS soon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Have you seen how popular the widescreen mail apps are? I mean, there's like 10 of them! I think Apple must know by now that we like to type in widescreen. It may not be as fast, but it's more comfortable to hold the iPhone sideways because it's easier to grip. I mean, it must be embarrassing for Apple that so many people are downloading Apps to fill a gap that is so simple that Apple should have just included in their own native Mail app. Also, I think SMS should be landscape too.

I always hate trying to type in SMS while laying down and I can't freakin' hold the phone to type with 2 thumbs... it's very awkward and uncomfortable and it feels like the iPhone is barely being held onto. When I rotate it sideways, it's much wider and I can grip it with my palms and then tap with my thumbs and it's more comfortable to hold for long periods of time. I can't type as fast on the wide keyboard, but it's more comfortable.

So my prediction is that Apple is going to add a widescreen option to their Apps. I actually had a friend come up to me the other day complaining that his iPhone wasn't working right. He said he was trying to send a text message and when he rotated the iPhone, they keyboard didn't move with it. I assured him that his iPhone was not broken, it was supposed to be like that... and he said "Why?" and I didn't really know what to tell him.

It's sad that someone has to type their email in a third party app, then send it to Mail in order to email it... 2 steps instead of 1. That should make Apple feel embarrassed that they crippled their software so much.

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Version 2.5 of biteSMS has landscape.

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

i disagree for the sole reason that, as you said, apple has approved almost 10 mail apps with this feature.

If apple felt that it was a feature they wanted to implement in their native app, they wouldn't have approved all of the mail apps in the app store that boasted this feature. I really think apple just doesn't care. Kinda like:

"Fine you want this stupid feature? Then download this stupid application that's not as good as our mail app."

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... I suppose. You have a good point. It just looks bad for Apple when I have to tell my friends that they can't text in landscape like EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE can do. Then I guess it goes back to MMS (which I don't use, but I know it's pretty popular).

The iPhone is so great that I tend to not think about the lacking features... but, the other night I got so annoyed that I had to sit up in bed because I was trying to text my girlfriend and it was a pain to hold the iPhone in portrait mode.

On a side note: Was anyone actually asking for multiple text message reminders... or was anyone asking for Google street view? Why do the more important things stay out, while useless crap gets put in... I don't get it.

On another side note: I downloaded a note-taking app and there was NO AUTOCORRECTION which was wicked annoying because I have to type like 2 words a minute to get everything right. It wasn't even an option, it was just NO AUTOCORRECT and I didn't read about that feature anywhere before I bought the App... wicked lame. Edit: The App was [app]MagicPad[/app]

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I completely agree. Either that or they're letting us spend our cash and they'll still bring it to us later after they've cashed in.

6. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think Apple will slowly realize the potential to open up the iPhone a little bit more. Imagine how much revenue they could make by allowing certified developers to work within Apple's applications.

Developers would be able to provide programs that mirror some OS X ideas, such as clicking on something in mail to save it in your calendar, or create a to-do.

Those apps will cost money, and Apple cashes in.

Just think "super certified developer only costs $500, and you can create apps to work within Apple's"

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As we've already seen...if Apple is producing that feature and someone else wants an app that does the same thing, Apple will deny it. If they had this planned out and worked on it then they would not have approved those applications.

Now, personally, I hate typing on the iPhone in landscape mode. I wouldn't ever want it.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

On the other hand Apple might be trying to weigh the actual desirability of the features. If a million people download a third party application to allow them to extend the usability of a native application, then that might suggest it's worth them investing the effort in reworking their native app. On the other hand, if only a thousand people bother, then it suggests that the majority of people don't care, and so Apple shouldn't waste their time. For the record, I hope Apple does add landscape mode to email and SMS.

Edit: which of course is consistent with Apple's stance on copy and paste. They have stated they eventually plan to implement the feature, but they have allowed third party applications to explore the feature (although not those that explicitly go against Apple's app policies).

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

This.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I hope they do, but I gave up on Apple and joined the Jailbreak movement :)

11. Jeremy W macrumors regular

YES!

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple will probably release it soon. They've recently had too much to do: notebook event, iphone 3g launch(es), ipod event, etc.

13. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would just be happy with a way to track how many sms's have been sent.... similar to the data usage...

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's been more than obvious for a long time that people are crying out for landscape text and email.

I don't think Apple have any intention of listening to it's customers.

Phazer

15. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

F
    L
    A
    S
    H

seriously, you can keep your MMS, stereo bluetooth, widescreen, etc

16. jlwillia macrumors regular

I disagree. If Apple denied all apps that have some of the same functions that they are working to implement in their current applications, then people could easily find out exactly what Apple is working on. Apple would be as predictable as death and taxes. If we know anything about Apple its that they value their secrecy and surprises

17. Jeremy W macrumors regular

Also that when it comes to the iPhone, they won't get it right the first time, nor will it be on time.