Price Advice Reasonable asking price rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SCOLANATOR, May 3, 2014.

1. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I've been browsing a few sites like gumtree and ebay to try and gage a fair price to sell my rMBP for come the release of the Broadwell/Haswell models. So I've been looking and asking around what price I would receive for a similar spec early 2013 model with 2 years of warranty remaining (specs in my sig).
    I also am a little nervous about when I come to sell it as how is the best way to go about it to maximise profit while avoiding being scammed/theft etc. Anyone with any sort of experience doing this would be much appreciated.

I was thinking of aiming for £1350 (listing it higher obviously first) and maybe £1300 min. I was offered £1100 from a company who buys second hand Apple goods so if that's what they would give me without any haggling then this seemed fairly reasonable. I would be prepared to sell in person, as I'm not worried about being mugged due to my size and some military training. I would really like to avoid Paypal due to the fees (3.4% :eek:). I'm only 22 and aside from selling some graphics cards I haven't yet had experience selling anything of this value. So any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Given that even the refurb version comes in at £1,869, I think you should shoot for much higher than £1,350 especially due to the added warranty. ~£1,600 would be a fair asking price in my opinion as it leaves some room for negotiation.

As for the deal, as long as you make it face to face in a public place (e.g. a cafe), the chances of being mugged are close to nil.

3. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Wow that's fantastic. Basically means I'll only be paying around £270 for an upgrade! Yeh I think I'll advertise it on Gumtree and around my university campus. Also, pretty cool being commented on by an Anandtech editor ;). But serious question, what happened to the rMBP Haswell review? I think I re-read the original rMBP review 3 times while waiting for it!

When the time comes I'll maybe advertise it around £1680 then let myself be worked down. It's in pristine condition, if I wipe it down you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (arh fingerprints). Only the charger has scuffs but I assume this is acceptable? Great condition + nearly top spec + original box and packaging + 2 years of Apple Warranty... £1600 will be what I'm going for then :D.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm not sure, it was Anand's thing. All I know is that he was super busy late last year, although I don't think that has really changed lately.

To clarify, are you selling it now or right after the new ones are announced? Because that makes a huge difference. Once new models are released, there will be a ton of other people selling their rMBPs and the value will drop rather significantly. It's hard to predict what the value of your rMBP will be after the announcement since it depends heavily on what the update brings but you could easily see the value dropping to ~£1,400 or less.

5. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Well here's hoping the Broadwell review will be available soon after release as I really enjoy getting to know the hardware and it's capabilities. No other site is like Anandtech. I don't mind so much about the Haswell review as it was fairly minor, PCI-e SSD's, new CPU, pretty much identical GPU, WiFi .ac etc.

I will most likely be selling it just prior to the launch of the new ones. I have access to plenty iPads and laptops to keep me going for a couple weeks until I get the new one. I'm a 'poor' student so the more I can get from selling the better as £200 does make a difference. Especially as I'll be at Oktoberfest this year in Munich :cool:.
    I'll keep an eye on Gumtree and eBay to see what the prices are like. Any other good places online to sell or advertise?