Reasonable Purchase?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by qzak, Aug 13, 2007.

1. qzak macrumors 6502

Hey guys (and girls), got a question...

I'm going in to my last year of college for a degree in Art & Technology. I work part time as a graphic designer right now, and will be getting more into 3d Modeling and Animation, as well as much more in to motion graphics (After Effects) during these coming months.

I have a 1.67ghz G4 17" Powerbook right now, and it's done fine for the last few years using just photoshop and illustrator. But, I want to work with After Effects, Cinema 4d, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. much more in this last year to get a good portfolio together to help me before I leave school.

Question is, do you think a Mac Pro purchase would be justified? I have a tendancy to spend more than I need sometimes :D so i figured i'd get some more opinions.

I'd probably wait to the end of September/early October to see if there is an update.

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I wouldn't want to say that you need a Mac Pro.

I would say you'd be better off with a 2.8 iMac, or even a 17" MBP loaded up with RAM. But thats just me.

Honestly, when you get a graphics job they will have Mac Pros for you to work with. But you'll probably be able to get just as much done with the iMac or the MBP since you're just doing work for your portfolio instead of pounding out work for clients.

3. qzak thread starter macrumors 6502

i'd really prefer to stay away from the iMac.

1. i'd like to be able to upgrade, add more hard drives/ram.
    2. the glossy screen is a turn off
    3. we have one of the last rev. iMacs at work and Illustrator crashes on it alot when working in it and Photoshop at the same time.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hear that. I would say you're absolutely justified getting a Mac Pro. I'm not a fan of all-in-ones either for the same reasons you stated. Go for it.

5. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I totally agree. I would definitely buy a iMac for my mom, sister, etc... but, when buying a desktop, i want/need the ability to upgrade as well. Mac Pro if you have the money!

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Get the Mac Pro, you won't regret it....but as far as when to buy, lot of people think an update is coming, so that's your call. But don't get an iMac for what you want to do.

I found the Mac Pro really starts to shine at 4 gb of RAM- got my upgrade from Crucial not too long ago. So definitely factor extra RAM into the price.

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

for after effects and 3d work you really do need mac pro, very little is as painful as waiting for work to render

just go for the standard spec, no need for big processor or graphics card yet

8. qzak thread starter macrumors 6502