Reasonably Priced Web Design.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by NJDevils44, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

No offense, but your site is missing images (about page) and the code is atrocious. Why do you have frames? And it looks like a template.

2. NJDevils44 thread starter macrumors regular

NJDevils44

It's missing images because I was working on it, it's fixed now. The code is atrocious because it was made with iWeb...

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I think the frame is used to mask the .Mac url.

4. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

And that somehow justifies it?

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

you want people to pay for a poorly coded iweb site that proberly uses a cheep template. And even better you use frames. :rolleyes:

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Lets not get nasty here. How about some constructive criticism?

NJDevils44, I think you'd do better working on some websites for friends or local small businesses to gain experience. You should also look into other software like Dreamweaver and Photoshop. As someone who has been hosting, designing, and marketing for a long time now, I can tell you that you have an awesome start. It just takes some time to learn the ropes.

Good luck!!

7. ambience macrumors member

I do web design for a living so I have a few pointers for you.

1.) First of all the biggest problem with the coding of the website is the iframe that is masking the .mac URL, the problem with this is the fact nobody can bookmark any pages of the website because http://www.thewidgetwarehouse.com/ is always in the URL bar. No proper website works this way, it is expected that the URL changes when you go to different pages! Either remove the iframe and do a redirect of the website's domain to the .mac account or get proper hosting (you can get proper shared hosting for as much as .mac costs). You (or the client) needs to make the investment for a proper website presentation. If thewidgetwarehouse.com is your website, pay a little more for proper hosting. If it is a clients website, talk with them and let them know how much better it would be if they used their own hosting for the site. It is extremely important that a website you use as a portfolio website is as professional as possible. If you expect clients to pay you, expect to make an actual investment on your behalf to get started.

2.) Fix the graphical inconsistencies on the website. How come the top right dashboard widget in the header has a reflection on the main page but not on the other pages? The headers/titles throughout the website have a vertical line coming out of them but on the "latest additions" section of the website that line does not go down to the bottom like it does on other header/titles.

3.) Fix the loading time. Parts of the website take forever to load (6Mbit/s downstream connection here). Make sure your code is lean and your images are optimized, then switch to a different (faster) host.

5.) Fix things that are broken. There is an RSS/podcast icon in the lower right hand corner, yet I cannot click it and there is no RSS feed on any of the pages. As a user this can be confusing especially since RSS is expected on a site like this.

If I were you I would clean the website up, put it on proper hosting, ditch iWeb, learn to hand code or at least use something like Dream weaver, and then start looking for clients. I would not go to an online forum and ask if anybody wants low-cost web design, a large portion of the people at this forum are extremely experienced computer users and most likely a.) would design their websites themselves or b.) already knows somebody that designs websites that is highly skilled. Your best bet to find a client would be to get local clients and meet them face to face. While there is a lot of competition in web design (especially online!), you will find it much easier to find clients locally (at least I have). Another advantage with local clients is the fact that they get to know you and can talk to you face to face which will give them a ton more confidence, because of this you will be able to charge considerably higher amounts for your work than if you were trying to get clients online. Web design requires a ton of communication so you are on the right track with the client, most of the time online or over the phone conversation is not enough to build a clients ideal website. An example of this is one of my clients that was a pro-modified/street engine fabricator, to design and manage a website for this company required a lot more than just technical skills and good communication. To design the website (with its huge integrated online store) I had to learn the entire industry, and had to learn the products that they fabricated and sold in order to write proper descriptions for hundreds of products on their website. In order to accomplish this I spent countless months sitting in their shop talking, and observing what they did. I also went to many racing events with them. This was the best thing I have ever done, instead of a contractor web designer I became like a member of their team and a friend. Long story short the racing events and the number of companies that they work with all wanted to hire me for their web design work. This was the best way I've ever found to build up a nice client base. Web design is a profession and is not something you just decide to get into after making a website with iWeb, it requires both a money and time investment on your behalf and can take years to master (especially if you get into dynamic stuff). It will also take time to network with clients and built a client base that actually wants to pay you money. Stay away from individuals, personal websites, non-profit, education, etc as they expect to pay you almost nothing. Try to make websites for small-medium sized businesses and properly funded start ups. I hope this gives you some ideas on how to go about this web design thing better. :cool:

8. NJDevils44 thread starter macrumors regular

NJDevils44

Alright then forget about it, delete this thread.

9. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I really don't think it is too bad.

I would advise working with it offline, then getting some decent hosting.

I bet some people remember I put some designs up here and they got ripped to pieces, and I am managing to make a living now from web design.

Try looking around the internet, see what people are doing and learn from them. Then test, test and triple test to check everything works, loads and looks ok in all browsers.

Don't give up!

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

:cool: