Reasons for purchase of an iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by L4Leonard, Jul 15, 2012.

1. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

So this is the case; I already own an iPhone and the MacBook Pro, both purchased during last year. As much as I would love to buy the new iPad 3, I find a bit hard to motivate my purchase, both for me and for the people around me. So I am asking you guys; what are some things we the iPhone and the MacBook are limited in comparison to the new iPad? Work is that hard truth that an iPad would be completely on the necessary for me? Help me!

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't own an iPhone or MBP but seriously if you need serious convincing on why you should buy an iPad, save yourself the money and spend it elsewhere. The iPad 85% of the time is used for entertainment purposes, like web browsing, playing games. The crowd that uses an iPad for serious business is much smaller than those who use it to goof around with.

I personally prefer web browsing on a tablet vs a laptop or desktop. But if money is burning a hole in your pocket buy one at Target. I believe you have 45 days to decide if you want to keep it.

3. will waters macrumors regular

Ok

I have a MBA 2012, iPad 2 and iPone 4, and i do struggle sometimes to find a use for the iPad, that is apart from lying on the sofa surfing the web, however if you have a family it can be great with kids etc or if you are travelling a lot it is easier than getting out your MBP, if you do not enjoy using a computer they are very good (my Grandmother can use her iPad but not a computer)

So, you should probably get one, but consider the 16gb wifi model...

I hope this helps

Will

4. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I have an iPhone 4s and the retina Mac pro. I have the ipad 4g for entertainment use and mobility plus my daughter loves it. So it's just something fun. We travel far to do shopping and stuff, so having this is wonderful as my daughter can watch movies and play games and my iPhone stays fully charged.

My MBP handles my heavy workload such as website editing, graphics or photo editing, blogging (writing) and serious emailing.

5. MacJones macrumors 6502

This reason isn't for everyone but I use my iPad 3 mainly for digital art. There are some powerful apps that I can use to create content like I never could before. The combination of my Macbook Air for CS6 and iPad for drawing is very productive. Most people don't see it as a content creator but I use it as a tool every day.

I also use it to watch youtube and read in bed. I love how it syncs my iBooks bookmarks between my iPhone and iPad. Other than that I use it to browse the web, check email, and play games.

6. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I purchased mine specifically for quick access to mundane tasks from he couch in my living room. If I plan on doing anything more complicated than web browsing, reading books, comics, forums, etc. I'll break out the notebook.

While I'm out of the house I do everything on my iPhone.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I had to look at what I wanted to that's an extension of my MBP and other iOS devices. Better eReader. Fits well in my workflow. I'm artsy fartsy and it fits great in my workflow. More mobile. I don't have to watch movies any more on my iPhone. lol Better battery life of all the iOs devices is a bonus.

There are lot of apps now that work best on the iPad.

basically what everyone said lol

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

If you have to ask, you do'n't need it and should wait.

10. ougum macrumors regular

Reasons? One reason is to show it off and let folks know that you own one. Just being honest.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Without knowing what it is you do or what your needs are, it is kinda hard to make any meaningful suggestions.

I am facing the opposite conundrum - I own an ipad, and have problems convincing myself to buy an air (actually have my sights set on an 11" 4/128 model, but just cannot justify getting one. :p

12. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

Most people buy just because its trendy:rolleyes:

14. Ides of March macrumors newbie

I bought mine because I needed a mobile device for around the house. I have an Imac as well that I use for anything heavy. I had a MBP but the wife took it when she left. And that's the main reason I got the Ipad 3, for mobility around the house and when I travel. I use it mostly for web browsing, maintain finances, social networking, and I am a musician so I use it to store songs, lyrics, itinerary, practice schedule stuff and whatnot. I wasn't spending what I spent on the MBP again so the Ipad is perfect for me.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

$700 in disposable income burning a hole in your pocket is all the reason you need.

16. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

Is the reported heating issues something that should hold me back from buying it?

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No. Apples obsession with thin profiles, contributes to products that run warmer than their counterparts. It's no big deal, just an annoyance. Great on a winters day :)

18. doboy macrumors 68000

Yes, they do have obsession with the look of their product (which I appreciate). However, iPad 3 is warmer because of the retina display and their power/graphics requirement.

19. mellofello macrumors 65816

I really can't justify mine. Today was the first time I picked it up (ipad 3) in about two weeks. I spend my goofing off time, on forums which, the ipad is terrible for since typing is it's biggest weakness. I need my work computer for work. I have a PS3, and 360 for gaming.

The only reason I keep it around is for travel. Having a relatively capable device that can do that extra bit more then my smartphone on the road has been a godsend. Then again I also have the macbook air, so I could always just grab that. I fly often, and carryon only so it has really come in handy when on the road, but at home it just accumulates dust.

Meh it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm sure one day someone will figure out why we need tablets, and it will all make sense.

For now it's just a shiny paper weight for me.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You might not have a need for the iPad (except when traveling), but that doesn't mean other people haven't already figured out why the iPad makes sense *for them.*

Me, I hardly ever put down my iPad. I'm typing this post on it right now. I use it mostly for reading, but I also do some light writing on it, and to keep track of my calendar and todo list. i also do a lot of texting on it with iMessage. Obviously, the iPad isn't for everybody. If it's not for you, that's perfectly fine -- no need to try to make sense of it if it doesn't fit your lifestyle/workflow!

21. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

So is i get this right, you wont rally get burnt on the iPad 3? So it wont be any problems holding it in your hands.

22. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Having the right apps makes the iPad much more enjoyable. Like someone mentioned here on this forum, it's all about the apps. :)

23. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

Well i ordered an iPad 3 32Gb WiFi yesterday, wont be able to pick it up until friday thou at its earliest;( Please **** me hard and make time fly by faster;(