Reasons not to use Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nealeholl, Aug 20, 2013.

1. nealeholl macrumors member

The are loads of threads on here discussing alternatives to Apple's Mail app. I'm reasonably happy with Mail as it does what I want, however I'd be interested to hear the main reasons why so many people are dissatisfied and seeking alternatives?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've never really liked mail...I originally came from a work background that was all Windows based, and heavily Outlook centric...everything was done using it. I don't want or need it, and although I have two copies of Office one per Mac, I have used Thunderbird for a few years now, and I like it.

You can choose the plugins you need, rather than be confronted with an overblown option laden email client...with T/Bird you grab the one you want and your good to go....I can't really see me going back to Mail unless Apple make wholesale changes and improvements. Having said all that, for folks who just want a basic, functional email client then I guess it does an adequate job...my fiancee uses it and has no issues with it whatsoever....It does;t hurt to try, as Thunderbird is a free open source app anyway.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I use Exchange and prefer Outlook for use with Exchange.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I too have no problems with Mail. I'm stuck using Outlook at work 40 hours a week, and let me tell you I find Apple's mail application considerably better.

I can't speak for alternatives because I've never found the need to change -- if ever I'm dissatisfied I'll have a look at some of Mozilla's mail products. :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really depends on your particular needs. I've never liked Outlook, even on Windows, and I don't have to touch it. I'm very pleased with the way Mail works for me. I use it with several Gmail accounts and it does everything I need it to do. YMMV

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use Outlook at work and have never come to appreciate it. Do not dislike it or anything. I have always used Mail. It does a great job for me. I run both my business & personal account emails with Mail. Rarely have I ever had an issue with it. There are some things more I wish it could do, but for the performance of Mail, I will sacrifice without those few things.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I used Outlook + Exchange on Windows for years. I tried the Mac version of Outlook but didn't like how different it was from the Windows version. After testing Mail for awhile I found it met all my needs. It also works better among all my idevices.

Different people have different ways of working with email. If a particular doesn't work the way you prefer, it's a pain.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I never like Outlook because it is confusing for me. Mail is ok for me. I have tried Juno email client in the past, it is very easy for me to use it…that was for PC anyway. :apple: