Reasons to buy a MacBook over a PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stephenc92, Oct 2, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

My friend is going to buy a new laptop in a few hours. He can't decide between a MacBook and this HP laptop.

Any advice on which he should get?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

In the long run (first 6 months) a Mac is cheaper.

4. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Macbooks are core2duo instead of regular core duo. Plus, well........everything. The included ilife 08 software is worth it for me.

Wait a few weeks for leopard.

5. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Well the HP has a graphics card. Thats the only positive thing I can say about it!

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Not to bad a machine...

Of course just how well it will run once the latest Norton software is on there is an intersting question... Comes down to what exactly the machine is going to be used for.

Of course I've got Parallels on my MacBook - so I can run what little Windows software I still need while enjoying the fact that my machine performace has not turned to custard because of all the extr cruft that is loaded on it.

For me that is important for some reason.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

May I show you and your 'Voice of Reason' the door?
    Get the Mac, you'll have the option to run Windows too if you want too, but you wouldn't have posted here if you didn't want to be convinced to get an MB.

I do agree that the graphics card for the HP is the only thing going for it, but it is a slower machine, has no bundled software of any use. And it uses VISTA. Seriously dude, this decision is made. Get a Mac.

8. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

Gotta agree with pretty much everyone else. You get more RAM, screen size, hard drive space, and a better video card with the HP (albeit a slower processor) but if you want a Mac, nothing else will do.

Get the MacBook with some third-party RAM and you won't regret it. Oh, and the base machine only comes with a Combo drive so if you ever want to burn DVDs, upgrade to a SuperDrive while you can (it's not something you can easily replace later).

9. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

He wants to buy it today. Should he wait a week or so for Leopard?

10. panda macrumors regular

buy buy

well of course the macbook -no question.

wait for leopard? sure, if you can wait a couple of weeks, do.

if not, you can ask the salesperson if they will allow you to get a leopard update whe it comes... i've heard of this happening.

mac all the way. :)

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

I think its going to be more than a week. More like the last week of October.

12. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Probably the last day in October...

13. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

If it were me - I'd get a Mac - but then I've spent the last two years and about £2K transitioning almost all my software over to OS X native versions. Only 4 very niche apps I use oce or twice a month remain for which I user Parallels and an old W2K licence salvaged from a decommissioned PC.

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

My 3 year old Dell can't run Vista
    My 9 year old iMac can run Tiger

:cool:

15. crossifixio macrumors regular

crossifixio

Tell him/her to buy the macbook its by far the best laptop for its price range. I recommended mac hardware to all my friends and family and after the first few days getting use to the new system they all tell me how much they love it :) For a student i think its a great option plus you get a free ipod :D :apple:

16. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

LOL - How true.

There's a thread on Macrumors about Apple's up-to-date programme which 'should' allow them to upgrade to Leopard for a nominal fee once Leopard is released.

So, hang on a couple of weeks!!

BTW - John Lewis give a 2-year warranty on computers so buying it from there is a good call!!

HTH

- D