Reasons to buy a macbook pro instead of...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Electa, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Electa macrumors member

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody can answer this question for you. Decide for yourself.

3. css136 macrumors member

4. Electa thread starter macrumors member

External harddrive could cover you. Also, It's a 160gb SSD. It comes with the option of getting a cheaper 750gb 7200 rpm harddrive

5. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Your not pioneering any new ground here. We are always aware there are different options around. Myself, I buy mac for the quality, durability, customer service and mainly the OS. I don't enjoy windows as much as I do OSX.

To be honest, I'm willing to spend a premium to get a premium prouct that will last 5+ years. Oh and I forgot to mention the warranty and care is superior.

This coming from someone who has owned many pc's, my last being an expensive DELL XPS 15" and moved to apple. Both personally and professionally, apple just works for me. If not for you, great, go for whatever you choose. There are always reasons for and against.

6. Electa thread starter macrumors member

What is to say that the HP won't last 5 years? I'm a Mac fan myself, I'm just playing devils advocate here. It really seems all you're paying for is the OS.

7. css136 macrumors member

Have you ever used an external HDD? I'd rather shoot myself than be forced to use one for storage, only to have 160 GB local storage, lol

The only reason I buy mac is because of OS X. I wish someone would get their act together and compete with Apple on this (and no, Windows doesn't count)

8. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Again, I'm speaking from my own personal opinion. I have had quite a bit of experience with HP, and I think they are great.

But the premium I'm paying for, I pay for quality. Mac's, in my experience are better built machines and last longer. This is obviously in my limited experience over the last 10 years. I've also had the pleasure of owning an iphone for the last 4 years and it has been a joy.

I'm not a fanboy or anything, I just appreciate a quality product. Not to say HP isn't great or dell or toshiba, however I've had the pleasure in dealing with people from apple who show great knowledge on their own apple products and a willingness to help out.

It really doesn't matter to me whether you believe I 'm paying the premium for the os, the looks, the service or the build quality because too me, what I am paying is a great deal for a reliable and fast machine that allows me to accomplish tasks, both personally and professionally . Especially since I have been able to receive a student discount and a great refurb ( no one says you have to buy the most expensive latest mac).

Just chill, if you feel you would benefit from a hp, get a hp. The options are endless. Contrary to popular belief, it's quite possible to enjoy technology without turning it into world war 3, just enjoy it, whether its microsoft, apple, toshiba,, or maggie noodles, I don't care, just don't turn it into a battle. They are the ones who should be battling to compete, not us!

9. Electa thread starter macrumors member

Did you not see my comment about the 750gb local storage internal harddrive? And you believe paying $700 for the flashy features of OS X is worth it?

I guess it all does boil down to paying a premium.

10. mrbutters macrumors regular

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

If you're seriously cross-shopping that HP with the MBP, just buy the HP...

13. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Buy what suits you , i honestly buy apple laptops because the "quality" is better compared to the prices of high-end plus quality from other brands , example macbook air price and quality vs a Sony vaio Z series

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Get whatever you can afford and will make you happy.

15. addictzz macrumors 6502

I would go for macbook pro.

Extra $700 is not only for aesthetic casing for me. Macbook Pro has some decent build quality.

Just some example:
    - I tried the trackpad for other similarly priced laptop (including Sony Z series) and i find them to feel cheap. The rather loose hinge of the trackpad does not make me feel like buying $2000 laptop. MBP's trackpad on the other hand feels solid!
    - I personally care about the aesthetic of my laptop. And macbook pro's unibody finishing and build quality is just fantastic. Magnetic latch and LCD hinge are still tight even after 3yrs of use.

I was initially skeptical to spend so much for a MBP, but after using it, I can justify the price.

*coming from a guy who thinks that Window 7 is better than OSX Lion :)*

16. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

It's all about the OSX really.

Now a days there are fantastic Windows laptops from a hardware/durability/design point of view (Asus Zenbook series for example).

So basically it's a question of OSX vs. Windows as your OS of choice. I myself believe that OSX is superior to Windows 7, thus unfortunately I have no choice but paying Apple's hefty premium.

17. addictzz macrumors 6502

OSX Snow Leopard is better than Win7. Definitely not OSX Lion.

I have hopes on Mountain Lion though.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

As a previous owner of 2 HP laptops (between my husband and myself), I can give you a million reasons not to go with the HP :) Seriously, they are throw away laptops after 2 years. Their quality went way down in the past 5-6 years.

If you want to go the non-Apple route, you might look at Asus, they seem to have some decent reviews. I have no personal experience with them though.

I agree with others that the build quality of Apple systems seems a lot better, which is why I'm switching to Apple. Also, other laptops out there are just clunky with the possible exception of the thin Dell but I've had a lot of trouble with Dell as well.

19. StealthGhost macrumors regular

HP Envy is a closer comparison IMO

http://i.imgur.com/MFGnR.png

You can almost buy 2 for the price of one similarly speced Macbook Pro!
    I'd love to try/get comfortable with OSX but with the lackluster MBP 13 update using out of date tech again (what is that like the 3rd or 4th straight time this has happened?) and the crazy price on everything else...not looking good

20. omgitswes Guest

yeah it all depends on which OS you want to use. Only reason I'm buying a MBP is because I need more experience with OSX and I need a new laptop.

You could get way more computer for your money elsewhere, but you can't use OSX. :(

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Apple would license out OSX to other companies so I could have more options to choose from

21. leenak macrumors 68020

Not sure if it is ok to mention on these boards but look into Hackintosh if you are really interested.

22. wct097 macrumors 6502

I disagree. I buy Apple because they really do well for an overall package. Power, portability, the trackpad, and battery life. The machine feels substantially more refined than any PC based laptop I've used as well.

Sure, OSX plays a role there, but while I like aspects of OSX (no registry, battery life), it really doesn't hold a candle to Windows 7 in respect to 'windowing' and navigation. Simply browsing the file system on OSX is horrible. I really miss the ability to easily manipulate windows in Windows 7 as well. The way OSX maximizes/minimizes/resizes a window enrages me.

23. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm gunna tweak your HP link a bit... check out the dv6t (originally found thru slickdeals.net):

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...stination=review&config_id=7226806&aoid=35252

Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz Processor
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    1TB Hard Drive
    32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    15.6" 1920x1080 Anti-glare LED LCD Display
    1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card
    Blu-ray Player & SuperMulti DVD Burner
    WiFi N and Bluetooth
    6-cell Battery
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Backlit Keyboard

If you put in the coupon code NBG5247 and it comes out to 954.74 shipped!
    For a little more, I'd max out the vram to 2gb. Also, you have the option to get a 6 cell AND a 9 cell battery for i think it was $60 bucks... not bad.

Like everyone is saying, it's really up to you whether OSX is worth it. I've tried several times to "make the switch" but never am fully successful.

I ended up building a hackintosh for like 5-600 bucks a few months ago and have been playing with that and it's been working just fine. Do I trust it 100%?.... nope.... but for "playing" with OSX (garageband, imovie, and a few odds and ends it's perfect)

If you are adventurous, over at insanelymac forums, you can actually read how to run OSX in a VM on your PC. (there again, it doesn't run full speed, not everything works, but I actually can use garageband and that's good enough for me!)

--rob

**EDIT**
    I realize that this HP build doesn't have "flash storage" per-say... it has a flash-based-cache for the mechanical hard drive. You can always add a cheap SSD later if you wanted..

24. omgitswes Guest

Oh I already have, they look like a pain to set up. I didn't find too much information for a notebook though. and that's what I need

25. leenak macrumors 68020

Yeah I think it is money vs time issue :) Although it does seem that laptops have more issues, here is some info:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.4/Portables

Personally, I do think it is the worth the cost for a Mac even if I just spent the most I have ever spent on a computer with my order yesterday :)

I'm tired of crappy HPs, Dells and Sonys though.