reasons to buy AP Extreme over AP Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Can anyone list the reasons to buy the much more expensive Airport Extreme over buying an Airport Express?

Similarly, could someone list advantages of having a Timecapsule over an Airport (or other wi-fi router for that matter) connected to an external hard drive?

I live in a one-story apartment so I'm only ever like 50ft away from router.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Express: Set up a wireless network including the ability to plug in a printer for use wirelessly. Will stream music from your computer to a stereo. Small, allowing you to carry it with you and set up a wireless network in a hotel room (which generally have a single wired connection anchored to a desk).

Extreme: As above but not really portable. Will not stream music but will allow you to directly connect up to three ethernet devices for faster internet access. Can plug a printer or disk drive into it for wireless access. Allows dual band access and the creation of a guest network.

Time Capsule: As above but with a HD built in allowing wireless access to both a printer and the HD. If you know you want to use Time Machine wirelessly this is the simplest solution.

I hope this helps.