reasons to get an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Raist14, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Raist14 macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2011
    have an iPhone 4 (which if i decide to get an iPad will use to tether when I'm not in wifi area) and a i was wondering why do people buy iPads?
    why did some of you buy them if you already have an iPhone and laptop?
    they look cool and i want one but want to be sold on it lol
  2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Jul 28, 2011
    I find the main attraction with them is that there is no startup delays like a laptop. Just press, a button, slide to unlock and choose your app. Being able to browse the internet or watch a video within a few seconds of picking up the device is just excellent. As well as the ease of carrying it around the house as you wish, or indeed to take out on a train or something.
  3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Try one out.
  4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you're not sold after using one, you shouldn't buy it.
  5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2011
    -being able to walk while using the device

-battery lasts all day

-thin and easy to slip into small compartments

-instant-3G wherever you are. No need to turn on your mobile hotspot

-showing other people things is easier (ex: passing around a picture, document, web page, ect.)

-back-facing camera for random use

If none of that matters to you, then a tablet is probably a waste of money. (understandably so!) But if those are tempting features, then a tablet's the only way to go. You won't get those features from a laptop
  6. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2011
    In a thin slice of tech you can do EVERYTHING with it except write a book. It is a total entertainment hub. Its an amazing thing. I had the ipad1 and niw the ipad2 and so does my wife. We love it.
  7. boomhower macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2011
    I use mine mainly to take to work and watch movies and reading in the car. The bigger screen is very nice for that. Around the house I use it for light web browsing, especially while out on the porch and the wife likes to play games on it. Not everyone has a use for it but it's a very useful device for those that do.
  8. greganpace macrumors regular

Aug 9, 2011
    My wife's laptop just died (HP... of course) and we are going to get an iPad to be our second laptop. We are aware that it doesn't replace a computer, but we figure that having one macbook to do the heavy computing and major projects then that could be the extra to take to school for note-taking/media. So it fills that gap for us needing a second laptop while we are both in school. A cheaper and trendier option.
  9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2008
    Why get one?

- You have more money than sense? (my excuse).
    - You're old enough to need reading glasses, and the iPhone's screen is too small to read without them. (also my excuse)
    - Angry Birds is SO much better on the larger screen (also my excuse)
    - You thought "iPad" was "eye pad", and you always wanted to be a pirate?
    - Apple employees don't make enough money.
    - You're worried the Apple stores will go out of business and turn in to GAPs.
    - I have stock in AAPL. :D

Just kidding, all.
  10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Or Aye Pad. :D
  11. master-ceo macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2007
    The SUN
    Korg iMS20
    Grand Theft Auto 3

The list goes on...
  12. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Jul 3, 2010
    I had no objective reason to buy an iPad, I just wanted it.
    Now it's my most used device.