Reasons to get LTE model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Apr 26, 2012.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

After a month of owning the iPad LTE I am wondering if I should have just gone with the plain old wifi version. I LOVE the LTE but currently I can't really afford to keep it going monthly so it is shut off now and I am not sure if I should even still keep it or jump over to a wifi version. I am a best buy rz silver member so I have a 45 day return policy.

What do you all think? Are there more benefits that make the LTE version worth having if you can't keep the LTE data plan monthly?

2. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Ask yourself this question. Do you NEED to keep it going monthly? What about just using it only when needed. Since there is no contract and it's available on a month to month basis, with 3 different plans. Why not keep it off only until you need it? It's better to know you have the LTE available than to not have it available at all.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

True. Also there is the gps.

But I guess the thought process for me here is that I could go for twice the storage if I drop the LTE.

The LTE is very nice. I'm just not sure I'll ever activate it again now that the honeymoon phase is over.

Another thing bugging me is that I have a great screen. I feel there are no issues with it and I don't want to be one of the dozens of people swapping iPads out like crazy either.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This was my thought process when I got the LTE.

My first iPad was wifi only. I feel like I get a lot more use out of my new iPad in places without wifi access (my office for example).

Also, my home Internet has been going out a lot lately, it's been nice to have the ability to use my iPad.

Do you need double the space? If not, I would keep the LTE in case you ever want to use it, especially since it has a good screen. The resale will probably be better on the LTE model as well.

5. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

If money is an issue, and because you adopted the LTE model, you also adopted a smaller iPad like the 16gb, or 32gb. Then depending on your storage needs might be smaller to get a larger iPad model.

If you think you'll always be in a wifi area with your iPad every time you need to use it, then certainly swap it out. For me however knowing I have LTE available when I'm not near wifi is a huge plus, and worth the money to me.

As far as the screen issues are concerned, I'd say it truly is a non issue. I don't hear or anyone in the real world that is suffering with such issues. It seems to be an overblown one on these forums, but you should be fine if you decide to swap yours out for a new iPad. I purchased 2 iPads on launch day. One for me, and one for a friend and both displays are just fine, no issues whatsoever.

Hope I was able to help, and good luck with your decision. :cool:

6. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I say keep it, especially if you have a great screen because that is a craps shoot! I love having the option of LTE for when we travel and especially for long road trips. It is so much better than 3G. Did not realize what a big difference it would make and am looking forward to new LTE iPhone.

7. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I had 3G on my first generation iPad and I decided to go with the WiFi only for my new iPad. The thing I miss the most is the GPS functionality. I've got a MiFi hotspot for work, so I generally connect through it when I'm on the go. I went to use Maps for the first time other day and realized how inaccurate it is on the WiFi only device. Once AT&T goes to a shared data plan, *fingers crossed* I'll probably go back to an LTE version. I just couldn't justify another $30 a month data plan.

Good luck in your decision!

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I got the 4G model for a few reasons;

1. Will probably help resale value when it comes time to pawn it off for newer iPad.
    2. Wanted to see what all the fuss about 4G was (not too shabby thus far)
    3. I travel a bit and some of the hotels I stay in have pretty crappy/unsecured wifi networks. In the event that the wifi there sucks or I need to do some important stuff like bank transfers or what not, I can use the 4G network instead of the hotel wifi for a bit of added security.

This is my first iPad so I was going all out regardless of price anyways so I was getting a 4G one no matter what. So far, it's proven it's value to me and, bottom line, I feel a little more comfortable having it but not using it as opposed to needing it but not having it.

9. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's the other thing actually. When LTE hits the iPhone this fall (allegedly, though its most likely)

Will I ever use LTE on my iPad ever again or just tether?

10. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

True that except I'm finding VZW $20 1GB plan meets my needs and isn't tethering about the same price (not certain as my iPhone is AT&T)? Of course then you'd save the $120 upcharge on the LTE MODEL. I'm planning to switch to VZW for next iPhone anyway (so sick of dropped calls) and am hoping for shared data.... Tether charge is complete BS as it means paying for same data twice.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It does... I hate that there is a fee for it. I'd probably jailbreak and tether. ;)

I think you're right... I'd love to save that 130 dollar charge... but $20 a month is also very reasonable for data on my iPad... especially now that Onavo is available for VZW devices as well... stretch that 1gb even further!

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I don't travel much and WiFi is everywhere I'm at when the iPad is in use. Would I of liked to get the LTE model? Sure, but I wasn't willing to pay the 129 upfront for a "just in case" scenario. So with that, I opted for the 32 WiFi and I couldn't be happier. It all boils down to what works best for you.

Since you already have the LTE version, I'd say keep it. The LTE plans aren't contracted so you aren't out of pocket for it on a monthly basis.

13. TheKricket macrumors member

GPS is really the main reason I went with the LTE model. Not many people will utilize the GPS on their tablets, but if you're one that might - the LTE flavor is really your only option.

BUT - if GPS isn't that big of an issue to you - and it sounds like you don't really "need" LTE, then you might be better off getting something with more storage (with this gorgeous screen, you may want to leave more room for larger apps or HD movies - boy, those things just EAT UP the GB's...).

You do bring up a valid point with your screen - I personally haven't had any issues with either of the 2 New iPads I had (exchanged an AT&T for a Verizon unit) - but it seems like a lot of people do. But keep in mind - if you get a crummy screen, it's no big deal to swap it out at the Apple store.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Global data, and the VZW one works on both US carriers.

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I went from WiFi to LTE as I found it was very useful to have a GPS in the device as well as the ability to use it as a hotspot for my friends, my own laptop etc.

Also, pretty invaluable when on the road or out and about town.

If you don't normally go out or anywhere with your iPad that doesn't have free WiFi, then it's not worth paying extra for. But since you already have it, doesn't hurt.

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I specifically went with the 4G due to GPS. I had the first generation 3G. I got my wife an iPad 2 wifi because she has no need for the GPS. When I got the new iPad I wouldn't have bought anything other than the 4G. I never actually used the cellular data on the original iPad.

Between the navigation GPS app and the marine chart plotter app I use, the GPS was essential. If I didn't have a specific need for GPS I would have no need for the 4G model.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I decided to go with the 64 gig Verizon 4G LTE even though I don't really need it because I wanted the ability to access the Internet even when my Internet is down or the power up is out. That happened to me once in the year I had my iPad 1 (no cable, so worked on the iPad but could have used Net access). I especially worried that p, being here in the southern US, I might find myself without access when dangerous weather was in the area. I have my cellphone, but the audible alerts at night and the larger screen for viewing radar could prove invaluable one day, I figure.

18. tl01 macrumors 68000

I bought an LTE model bc a lot of the places I go do not have wifi. Also, we drive a lot and I can use my iPad while my husband is driving. I chose a Verizon iPad this time bc the hotspot allows me to power my kid's iPads too. That way I only have one monthly charge for the LTE service.

Only you can decide if you should switch. If you can't afford it... The don't keep that iPad. It is a luxury that isn't truly necessary.

19. jlnr macrumors regular

I hate how my WiFi iPad has no GPS, it would make an absolutely awesome OffMaps device. :( Especially since GPS works just fine when you're abroad. If there was a WiFi-plus-GPS version, I'd always pay the little extra fee.

It all depends on where you take your iPad, though. I have so much WiFi around me that I bought an unlocked iPhone and never bothered to get a data plan.

20. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

You should def keep it! I had a wifi only ipad2 and it was fine until I noticed those moments that I wish I did have 4g. I got 4g on the new iPad and couldn't be happier. You will have that moment that you really will need it.

The upside of the 4g plans is that you can just deactivate and re-activate whenever you want. So just keep it off until you go on vacation or something.

Keep the LTE and save on other things if you're really that short for money! It's worth it :) :apple: :D

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

22. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

My iPad has Navigon loaded with all North American maps, making it a useful gigantic GPS map that can be used when needed.

23. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

does it work without data?

24. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I've been using the personal hotspot and connecting an iPhone to it with a google voice phone number. Not the ideal solution for many but for me it works. $30 a month for phone, no contract and plenty of data for me. At home the iPhone syncs to the home wifi.

25. qCzar macrumors regular

Yes, the maps are stored locally and it only uses the GPS signal.