Reasons to switch!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoungChrisG, Apr 16, 2011.

1. YoungChrisG macrumors newbie

Ok I have been a PC/windows user since I was 10 and my mom brought home our first PC (a 486) in 1993. I have never used anything else mostly due to the fact I wasn't in charge if buying. However in the past year I have had a 2 year old Dell that had it's motherboard go out. A compaq laptop who's hdd went to crap, and now an Asus UL30a that for whatever reason wants to completely freeze in the middle of typing up documents and editing images and always seems to have it's auto-save feature fail in the process.

So here's my questions for all you Mac guys out there:
    How is security on a Mac as opposed to a PC?
    Is it easy to keep files and programs organized and easily accessible?
    How is the "ease of use" for a Mac beginner? I wanna be able to get it and go! Just like with my iPhone.
    And my number one priority, how dependable will my Mac be in 2,4,and 10 years down the line if I can't just go and get another one?
    Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance b

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

use MRoogle to search for these answers ... you will get all your questions answered better than what a few responses will offer

also you will not regret switching to Mac

3. craiger902 macrumors member

How dependable will your Mac be in 10 years? I'd say it's pretty much irrelevant. Do you really think you'll be using the same computer in 10 years?

I converted to a Mac for the first time last year at this time. I researched a bunch of stuff online and watched a number of videos to see the differences between Mac's and PC's. Once I got the Mac, I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

In terms of security, I don't use any security software and I haven't noticed any problems.

For file organization, I'd say it's very easy to keep files organized.

4. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I have not "switched"... I still use both a PC and a Mac now.

The adjustment is simple, and it is easy to maintain files, etc. The main difference, in my opinion, is that Mac OS has a much "thinner" feel to it.

It is a snappier OS, sleeps better and wakes up faster, and is pretty easy to manage.

It is also a bit easier to install and uninstall, though it takes some getting used to.

The two major issues, hands down (despite what Apple fanboys will tell you), is that you will run into apps and hardware that will only work on a PC, and also that the hardware is under powered (both in terms of availability and cost) compared to what you can get on a PC.

Threads like this all over the web, so read up.

FWIW, I really love this little 13" MBP. It is highly portable and for what I do, it is a perfect compliment to my awesome desktop and work laptop PCs.

R

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

So here's my questions for all you Mac guys out there:

How is security on a Mac as opposed to a PC?

Pretty damn good. I rarely ever (I don't think I actually have) read about someone getting a virus on their Mac. I don't have any virus protection software and everything is running just fine on mine.

Is it easy to keep files and programs organized and easily accessible?

Very easy. Coming from a PC it takes a little getting used to in the fact that you can't just add an organization bar at the top (date of creation, time, date of modification, etc.) [Unless you can, if so, someone let me know :)] You also can't cut and paste, you have to either drag and drop or copy/paste then delete the original.

How is the "ease of use" for a Mac beginner? I wanna be able to get it and go! Just like with my iPhone.

Very easy. At a basic point it seems to be a little easier and more user friendly than a windows PC is. Everything is done a certain way and if you can wrap your head around it, it's very simple. HOwever you have keyboard commands which make Macs very efficient. The use of spaces also drastically improves this with the ability to have "unlimited" desktops, each of which you can switch to at any time.

And my number one priority, how dependable will my Mac be in 2,4,and 10 years down the line if I can't just go and get another one?

Very dependable. Of course if you're speaking spec wise, it depends on what you get now, although you can always upgrade the specs.

I'm using an 08 BlackBook right now and love it; 2.2ghz, 4 gigs of ram, and a 320gb hard drive. Amazingly fast and it never lags, allows me to run XP and 7 in a virtual window (within a program, not a separate OS) without much slowdown either.