Reasons why I am not looking forward to IOS 5 for IPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Jun 24, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

1. The tabs ending the windows squares.

2. The round circles replacing the more professional looking squares.

3. This is a big one the browser going from silver to black it will make my screen look darker and it's like those third party apps.

4. The end of the IPod and music replacing it.

5. The notifications look awful copying Android so hope you can disable it.

6. News stand is pointless when you have iBooks.

7. The task reminder is what other apps have had for years.

8. Icloud as I don't want to use it.

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

3. rovex macrumors 65816

You speak of round circles, what are you reffering to specifically?

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Being non-conformist is fun. Congratulations on becoming 'that guy'.

It's now quicker to switch tabs, the ones that it displays anyway, not entirely sure how it's handled to be honest.

The icon isn't even that much different!

Just don't drag the bar down?
    Anyway, how do you think Apple *should* implement it then?

Newsstand = Magazines
    iBooks = Books

If you don't want to use it, move it to the last page *shrug*

Location based reminders anyone?
    If you don't want it, move it to the last page...

Who said you have to use iCloud?

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I completely agree with the point you made that they changed iPod to Music. Simple question; Why?

Its not important at all, but I can't seem to figure out why they changed that.

6. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

It is not. It's only black when you surf in private/incognito-mode

Is that really such a big deal? It's just an icon. I didn't even notice that it looks different or that it has a different name. And I only now realized that on my iPhone it actually says "iPod" and not "Music" like it does on my touch. In the end it does the same: Play music.

Only thing I could understand is that one isn't happy with the music app itself. Not a big fan here myself.

You can disable it, yes.

Newsstand and iBooks isn't the same thing. Newsstand is for magazines. You won't find those in iBooks.

But not location-based ones I believe. Also many people prefer native apps from Apple for free.

You don't have to use it. But many others, including myself, will probably like and use it.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Why do people WANT the music app to be called iPod? I'm insanely happy that it's getting changed to music.

Maybe it's just me though... I'm all for modernizing things, and looking at the future. I want home phones to be gone, phonebooks to stop shipping everywhere... And "iPods" are outdated to a lot of people. Our phones are our new music players. I sure don't like the look of the current app icon and name. Apple's doing what they should've done from the start. Smartphone's are a whole new beast.

That's my opinion, but I am curious why people WANT it to be called iPod. Memories perhaps?

8. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I get that, and I also am all for modernizing things. But there was nothing wrong with calling it iPod. It was something unique. I also heared that Music and Video are now seperate apps on the iPhone just like on the iTouch? Why? It was all nice integrated into the 'iPod' .

9. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

LOL at this list.

I can tell you this: Safari in iOS 5 kicks butt. I absolutely love it. When I browse the web I like to open a lot of new tabs and then work my way through them. It was a pain in the butt in the previous version of iOS. In iOS5 it seamlessly opens the tabs in the backgrounds. iPad & Safari is by far my favorite way to casually read websites.

I feel bad that you're going to miss out on the best iOS ever due to some complete non-issues that you for some strange reason have decided to have a problem with.

10. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

iPod should stay on the IPhone.

It's less of a deal on the IPad..maybe music would be better as it's more a PC device.

However the latest iPhone add in the UK says IPod in your phone well it won't be name wise once the update comes. It's like Sony Ericsson ditching Walkman branding but that was done with new handsets.

11. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

They changed it to music because all other iOS devices have "Music". The iPhone is the only one that has it labeled as iPod. They are trying to unify the entire iOS experience no matter what device you are running on.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

To split videos more logically.

13. shandyman Suspended

iPod has been changed to music and video to bring it in line with other devices, now all devices have the same apps for music and video. Also it was done so that iTunes in the Cloud can work easier with a dedicated music app. you don't like it? tough. complain to apple, but i doubt it will change. Plus the new music app interface looks great :)

14. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

That's a good point. I get that. I'm just gonna miss the iPod ;(

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I worry a bit as to how much it may slow down the iPad. I hope the RAM use is at a minimum.

16. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Surely it will run fine on the iPad. I hope so anyway , cause im about to get one.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

Don't upgrade then. But good luck with all your present apps and related content. Cuz eventually you are going to have to upgrade an App and the only way you can is to upgrade the iOS.

18. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

I totally agree with OP, I was not very impressed by the IOS 5 keynote at WWDC. Chances are, I won't be upgrading.

I'll probably just use my iPad 2 as a hold off until Windows 8 tablets come out.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes.

20. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Very interested to see that , indeed.

21. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

Probably will work out fairly well, especially for those who doesn't have their heads up Steve Job's butt.

22. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

I heard that before - when all the Android tablets first came out... But I'm still interested to see what Microsoft will be offering. Hopefully something good - Competition is good for business!

23. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

I totally agree, before I got my iPad2, I tried out several differnet Andriod tablets... but I thought it was clear that iPad is the superior choice, so I bought it.

However, Windows 8 seems very promising, so I will definitely seriously consider that as my next purchase.

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Times are changing. Should they have called the app "records" or "cassettes" or "compact discs?" iPod is turning a bit old school.

25. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I hope this doesn't sound insulting - it's not meant to be - but those sound like pretty trivial problems for an OS of such depth.