Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I've been thinking about getting an iWatch but I've decided against it, at least for a good few years. There are a few points I just can't get over.

1. The need for it to be constantly with an iPhone. I generally have it always on me but the fact you have to have it is not convenient.
  2. It's not aesthetically pleasing as other Apple products. Apple have recently always produced good looking products in it's latter generations, the iPhone wasn't that good lokoing early on, in addition to the iPad. The Apple Watch currently is clunky, thick and seems as if everything is cramped in.
  3. Battery life, not much really needs to be said about this.
  4. Price- It's costly for it's capabilities!

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
  1. You don't have to have it on you every time. Just leave it in your bag, office or wherever you want it to be.
  2. Thats a matter of opinion. I like it, you don't. Thats OK with me.
  3. Exactly. I get through the day easily.
  4. Its Apple.
But WHY do you feel the need to inform us that you won't buy it? I mean OK I did bite, but honestly whats the REAL meaning behind your post?

Purga

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
1. The watch also works partly without the phone. Obviously some features are related to the phone so notifications and apps that rely on phone data need to have the iPhone within bluetooth or WiFi range. Fitness functions, step counter and apps that dont need the phone also work without the phone, i.e. the watch will learn your arm swing and calibrate itself for running so that you dont have to carry your phone with you during workout.
All in all the watch is not there to replace the iPhone but to be an accessory to it.
2. well that is subjective. All i can say is that the watch looks super clunky, thick and huge and product images but in reality it is really tiny and unobtrusive. It is also the flattest and smallest smartwatch on the market.
3. the battery is much better than anticipated and apple really underselled the watchs battery life. For me it lasts 2-3 days ( i charge it every night anyway but at the end of the day it still has 50--75% battery). I wish the iPhones battery was that good
4. i totally agree. The watch is expensive and want need to figure out if it is worth to you

I dont quite get what the meaning of this thread is. Why is your opinion of the watch so important that it needs a new thread for that considering that you obviously didn't inform yourself on it.

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good reasons. However, I don't have the same concerns. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

1. I always have my iPhone anyway. With the Apple Watch I actually use it less and feel a lot better about leaving it in another room to charge.

2. I think it's beautifully designed and manufactured. With premium materials. It is quite thick but on the wrist it fits better than many watches I've owned. I also believe that bigger is not necessarily better. I went with the 38mm. It fits like a classic watch.

3. I actually found the battery life good with the original OS and now with OS2 it's great. I charge it for a couple hours every 1.5 - 2 days. I don't expect to see a device with weeks or months of battery life for many many years and I'm fine with that. It's not just a clock hand ticking around a face.

4. The price is too high. I agree 100%. But if I used that argument not to buy it I would probably own a lot less Apple devices.

Reactions: tadad1 and Hellenek

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I've been thinking about getting an iWatch but I've decided against it, at least for a good few years. There are a few points I just can't get over.

1. The need for it to be constantly with an iPhone. I generally have it always on me but the fact you have to have it is not convenient.
  2. It's not aesthetically pleasing as other Apple products. Apple have recently always produced good looking products in it's latter generations, the iPhone wasn't that good lokoing early on, in addition to the iPad. The Apple Watch currently is clunky, thick and seems as if everything is cramped in.
It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Generally speaking though I disagree.
  1. Needing to be with the phone is dependent upon what you want to do. Like any watch, it will tell the time with the phone nearby or far away. So, in that respect, its as good as every other watch you would wear. Away from the phone it will track activity so when you workout its recorded. It will store photos, music and now with Numbersync and 2.0.1 software will make use of known Wifi networks for messaging and phone calls. Not sure what you want it to do away from the phone but maybe you could say.
  2. Personal opinion. Nothing I can address here except to say it feels fine on the wrist. Not clunky at all.
  3. Battery is not an issue for me or anyone. You put in on the charger at bedtime and put it on again when you wake. It lasts all day with battery to spare. If you want it for bedtime as well then give it an hour or so before and after sleep and you should be fine on charge.
  4. Price is relative to your current position. If money is tight, you should never buy anything that cuts into your ability to otherwise get by. This is a device that after all other needs are met you might consider. If you're in a position to buy one then the price is not bad. The value is realized after some time with the watch. I would buy another today if this one broke.

Reactions: gemnilocs

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I agree with you on all points which is why I returned our Apple Watches back when it was launched months ago. But recently I just bought them again. The reason I'm not nearly as dissatisfied this time around? Lowered expectation and the used market.

Buying Used:
The pricing is way off. $400? $600? The numbers just don't match the product. But with enough dissatisfied customers to create a competitive used market then buying one pre-owned at nearly half the cost will make you overlook it's flaws.

Lowered Expectation:
My perspective has changed now that the hype is gone. No, this is not a great product and by Apple's (diminishing) standards I would even say it's a "bad" product. Sure, it's slow, unintuitive, over-bloated, 2.0 wasn't the resurrection and the pretentious "we know fashion!" nonsense is laughable on such an ugly product. But for the 100 things this does poorly then it actually is good (enough) at 3. And that was enough to make me want it again.

I still believe in wearables and I'm really hoping that next gen they actually focus on these strengths rather than overstuff it even more with unused features or continue this delusion that anyone is thinking "that digital watch is super classy".

Reactions: r0k

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

1. Not really, I don't keep my phone in close proximity, though if its out of range, you do lose some functionality, i.e., no notifications. I run with the watch and no phone and that works well.
2. I have to disagree, I think the watch is a beautiful product, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
3. Yep, no argument here. ITs not as bad as I initially thought, but I charge it nightly. I have about 40 - to 60% left when I charge it.
4. Yep, its a luxury item, one that I would not consider a must have, but rather a nice to have.

Overall you need to decide what works best for your needs and budget. It seems you have and the watch is not the product for you, which is fine. One size doesn't fit all.

Reactions: artfossil

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
But WHY do you feel the need to inform us that you won't buy it? I mean OK I did bite, but honestly whats the REAL meaning behind your post?

Why haven I stated my opinion? This is because i'm alluding to the fact that i'd get in a few years when the technology has advanced to have a better battery life, slimmer etc but in it's current state I won't purchase it.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Why haven I stated my opinion? This is because i'm alluding to the fact that i'd get in a few years when the technology has advanced to have a better battery life, slimmer etc but in it's current state I won't purchase it.

I'd say compared to a watch or the Huewi watch(how every you spell it) its pretty slim, battery life of 2 days here before I need to charge it.

Purga

macrumors member
May 12, 2015

Will you go over to the iPod section next to open a thread why you think you won't buy an iPod? Will you go into a starbucks to explain the cashier why you dont want to buy a coffee?

The question is why do your state your opinion? What is the point? Do you want to learn more about the watch? Do you want to know why people bought it? Do you want to convince us it sucks or warn other people?

I find it amusing how people feel obliged to reason about not buying a product. Who cares? Just move on. You don't have to buy it if you don't see any value in it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

1 - I hardly need to carry my iPhone with my watch. As long as I have WiFi, I have access to mail, messages, FaceTime Audio and much more.
2 - This is entirely YOUR opinion. I happen to like the way the watch looks.
3 - I've had my Apple Watch for over 6 months. Battery has not ONCE completely died. I easily, easily get 2 days of usage/stand by between charges.
4 - Again, this is YOUR opinion. I believe its reasonably priced for what it offers in comparison to a fitbit or Pebble.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Will you go over to the iPod section next to open a thread why you think you won't buy an iPod? Will you go into a starbucks to explain the cashier why you dont want to buy a coffee?

The question is why do your state your opinion? What is the point? Do you want to learn more about the watch? Do you want to know why people bought it? Do you want to convince us it sucks or warn other people?

I find it amusing how people feel obliged to reason about not buying a product. Who cares? Just move on. You don't have to buy it if you don't see any value in it.
While I can understand your point, Apple is a vain ego driven company with narcissism being a common thread running all through the companies culture and much of their user base. The OP's post and thousands before create vast numbers of threads nearly identical to ones in this thread. It's about self importance, and the "look at me" mentality. That shouldn't be news to seasoned MacRumors members.

Reactions: broken202

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

Sure. But what about the Apple Watch?

Purga

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
I know that people feel personally attacked for the personal choices of others. They feel like their own choice of living is put to question. Yet i think it is ridiculous and just shows a lack of proper self-reflection.

We all make personal choices and decisions. Why the **** would i care if somebody decides to buy or not buy anything unless iam in some way directly involved.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

So which smart watch are you using?
Or you simply think all smart watch are too expensive for you?

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011

As you keep missing the point, I'm saying that the product will be a great deal better in the future. Yes this is natural, but the first generation products are somewhat testers to the market. The iPhone was extremely expensive in its first form for example.

You seem to be missing the point about me stating that once tech develops it'll will be a much better product, e.g. When the iPhone3 came out; but you would rather just reply questioning my reasoning to a post as opposed to read what I'm saying.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007

Point 1 - Not Convenient ? Apparently smartwatches with sim cards exist so go buy one and throw your phone away.

Point 2 - Its Aesthetically Pleasing to me and many others.

Point 3 - Battery life, not much really needs to be said about this ? actually lots has been said about the GREAT battery life. Battery technology doesn't exist to allow smartwatches to last for weeks or years, some so called smartwatches say they last for days but don't do much and don't have colour screens. I remember some idiot said Casio watches from the 80s had batteries that last up to 10 years.........wow. I'ii add one more thing here..........The battery life for the Apple Watch is Endless, you use it all day, you then place it on a charging dock and wear it again the next day, I have been doing this for about 6 months and never ran out (endless battery life just like mechanical watches I wore in the past)

Point 4 - I think It's extremely cheap for its capabilities!

Superman041 - I'm sure eventually you will find a smartwatch you like :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellenek

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008

Okay, I'll bite, though like others around here I'm wondering why-bother for both of us.

1. No. The Watch is still more than a watch even if your phone is back at home. But true enough, its overall functionality is as an adjunct to your phone. It provides immediacy, convenience and some additional sensors. Oh, and you can tell the time. Its worthwhileness depends on your use case. For my notification-heavy usage, it means I drag my phone out of my pocket dozens of times less than before, each and every day. Add to that easy remote control of podcasts (to which I'm addicted), its fitness tracking, its navigation assistance... there's a lot to like. For me. For you, maybe not. Shrug.

2. The original iPhone was stunningly gorgeous for its era; you're totally off-base. People would stop and gawk at that thing. It was a phenomenon. The Watch is very nice, but I'd agree it's not the prettiest watch out there. That's fine-- I got mine for its functionality, not for fashion.

3. Apparently quite a lot needs to be said about this. As others have pointed out, it lasts all day and, in my usage, all night too, until it wakes me up with a tap on the wrist. I take it off on arising and when I'm done with my shower it's completely charged. I'd be taking it off to shower anyway (I did so with my old Casio too) so there's zero extra inconvenience.

4. Its price is fully in line with those from respected mid-range watchmakers like Seiko, Citizen, Movado, Casio... Sure, you can go to Walmart and get a crappy Armitron for thirty bucks. Well, instead of a Mac you can go to Walmart and buy a crappy netbook. Same difference. Just because there are cheap, compromised, unreliable, poorly-supported alternatives doesn't mean much. That's never been the market served by Apple, and you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
@Superman041: With such threads you step on a toe of many. Nevertheless, I think that such threads are as interesting as dozens of "I enjoy my AW", "Show Off Your AW" etc. It is just another side of the coin. Some need to learn accepting different opinions.
What concerns your OP, I share your view. Smartwatches are the future, but the AW is a very modest step in this direction, like the other options on the market.

xtshabi

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
Guys, he's really not buying it. He's telling us all the reasons he is not buying. What a disappointment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.