Reasons you dislike windows: tell us!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mithrilfox, May 21, 2008.

1. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

If you don't actively "dislike" Windows, no need to post a defense; in fact, you can make a "reasons you like Windows" thread if you want.

But for the rest of us, this thread is a chance to list the specific reasons we dislike Windows. I can't tell you what to write, but I want to request that people, as a general rule, avoid bashing Microsoft unless it directly affects their perception of the OS and its usability.

So here goes... my reasons: (BTW, I was a Windows-only use for over a decade, starting with 3.11 and until XP)

1) Stability: I know, some people have run XP for 45 years and never experienced a single crash, freeze, or hiccup (I know, I'm exaggerating). Well, for me, it just doesn't happen that way. Every version of Windows since I started back in 3.11 has crashed, frozen, hiccuped, burped, farted, and all that stuff. Constant problems, driver conflicts, incompatibility issues, countless error messages, failure to shut down, etc.

2) Security: Just this week, when I logged into my XP partition to play Counter-Strike, I found that it had three viruses and a piece of spyware. I had to fight it for about an hour, rebooting and re-running my anti-whatever software. In Mac OS X, I never use any of that stuff and never get any problems, EVER.

3) ActiveX: I hate it. I think it's a bad idea. It doesn't make my system any more stable, and it's a trapdoor for trojan horses and other malware.

4) The registry: Gosh I hate that thing so much. Sure, it's gotten better than it used to be, but it's a little haven for programs to hide data, like shareware limits, trojan information, spyware stuff, etc. I hate knowing how bloated and loaded with crap it gets from people's poorly designed software (Microsoft included).

5) IE: Yes, it's the dreaded bane of the internet. It's gotten better, as all things hopefully have and should, but it's still numero uno for malware to get into your system. I don't like how it operates in general, and it is not as stable on any of my previous systems as Firefox has been.

6) Browser integration with the system: If IE were just a separate piece of garbage software, that's fine. But no, it's gotta be invariably linked with the OS itself. Ever tried to force close IE? Why does the darn browser have to be an integral part of the OS? Hello, anyone thinking some thoughts about virus and malware open doors?

7) Active Desktop: That was just always a horrible idea. Even Microsoft knew that, and whenever your system crashed, it would auto-reset the Active desktop to off and put a warning on your desktop that said something like, "This may have been part of the problem." Why is it even an option? It's another horrible idea.

8) DLLs: Oh my goodness, I'm STILL getting DLL error messages. After fighting the virus/malware that I had, I get three back-to-back DLL error messages every time I boot up XP. Does anything seem affected? Nope. But I get totally random error messages about these DLLs. DLL-hell.

9) Meaningless error messages: I just "love" how Windows tells you stuff about your system errors: "Runcode error 371947490120000030120000. Please repair appropriate files." I'm obviously exaggerating, but the error messages are often worthless.

10) Driver issues: Why in the name of all that is good does Windows have to take so long to recognize a simple USB hub? It's not a powered hub, it offers nothing but 4 USB ports. No switches, no software came with it, it's just a simple hub. Yet, Windows has to go through several screens of information to "install" it. It pops up tons of nag windows telling me about every slow and painful step of the process. OS X? It just instantly works. Heck, Windows still keeps claiming to find "new hardware" even though I haven't added or removed anything in months! What the heck? And worse yet, it often somehow "forgets" that it already installed my mouse, and installs it again. The funny thing is, it's a gosh darn Microsoft mouse!

11) Lack of international features: This may not affect most of you, but Windows has been horrible about international use. If you come to Japan, buy a laptop, and then try to switch it to English, it ain't gonna happen. Not a problem for me, I'm mostly bilingual, but my friends constantly come to me asking me how to switch Windows XP to English. It can't be done. In fact, if they want their English Windows copy to be able to display Japanese font, they need to do a separate installation with the disc of that data, and it's not a very straightforward process. In Mac OS X, I can switch back and forth between languages of my choice with less than 6 clicks of the mouse. Even more, bundled applications will also switch languages, such as Safari, iTunes, iChat, and iPhoto!

12) Japanese font: it looks HORRIBLE on Windows. The basic font that shows in IE and Firefox on Windows looks horribly rigid, and it is difficult to read at anything below 16 point font. Complex characters become blobs of black ink. In OS X, it looks beautiful and maintains relative accuracy even at some smaller font sizes. Plus, having the ability to type in both languages doesn't force another space-consuming bar onto my desktop in Mac OS X (it's just a little box in the menu bar). Japanese language, like most languages, also comes pre-installed on OS X.

13) Security warnings: Yes, not the biggest deal, but I hate the constant warnings. I hate Leopard's new warning about downloaded programs, too.

14) Perhaps the king of crap: WPA. Windows Product Activation is one of the biggest pains in the butt ever to come out of Microsoft (other than Windows). I can't stand how inane it is. Sure, if Windows worked just fine the first time, maybe I wouldn't have to reinstall it several times. But why do I need to call and get permission from Microsoft to use a product that I legally purchased? Why? Because Microsoft treats each and every customer like a gosh darn criminal. And let me say this: everyone I know who was determined to get an illegal copy of Windows XP did it. Yes, they did it, despite WPA. And everyone I know who planned to buy it, bought it. Of course those who legally bought it, they didn't appreciate the WPA. To be honest, I used a technique to get around the protection on my own legally purchased copy! Why? Cause I was tired of fighting it each time I reinstalled Windows.

15) Restarts. I despise how often Windows needs me to restart for the simplest thing. "Your new mouse has been installed. Restart for changes to take affect." Again, that is an exaggeration, but you get the point.

16) Wireless internet connections can't seem to connect very well unless everything is set up and running smooth before I boot Windows. If I connect my ADSL modem after Windows has loaded up, it just can't recognize it and connect properly.

17) The taskbar. I don't like it. Sure, it's smaller than the Dock, but if you have more than just a few apps open, it's hard to see what's what. Instead of a big icon that is easily recognizable, they have small tiny icons with the emphasis on the text label. Well, the text quickly gets truncated into almost nothing, so you have no clue what the heck it is.

18) The beeps. Windows loves to beep or make some derivative sound thereof for every little error. If there's a window that you must respond to, and you click outside of it, "GONG!!!" Sometimes, before it crashes, my computer makes a strange click noise for every single minute movement of the mouse cursor!

19) XP (and previous) search functionality. Searching your HDD was a chore, and it was a big ordeal. It was horribly slow and bulky, and it just wasn't fun in the least.

20) The look and feel. Windows XP, even with themes, just still had that junky old "gray box PC" feel to it. The ancient-looking boxes and lines with rigid, boring graphics. Dull colors with dull interfaces, especially after looking at OS X Aqua.

-----

OK, there's more, but I think 20 is a good stopping point. What do you dislike about Windows?

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The thing I hate most about Windows is that I need it to make money.

But then that should also be a reason I love it. :rolleyes:

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Windows to me was a good learning experience, but.

I dislike all the loopholes, faults, security holes ect in the system. And the most annoying aspect, I could only use it on one machine, even though I owned 3. Apple did the right thing letting you put leopard on your other home computers, without buying a copy for everyone.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My number one complaint about Windows is stability. Apps crash so often, it's unreal. Many times they refuse to open, period. They sometimes don't close either, but OS X also has this problem, so I'm not too mad about that.

All the anti-virus stuff you need to run is a pain. It can't just run in the background, doing it's job. Nope, it's gotta be in your face, hog your memory, and half the time it fails to work.

I must admit, I do like XP's color scheme and interface, no complaints there.

Active X is one of the worst ideas Microsoft has ever had, besides Vista.

WPA. Oh.My.God. This is the bane of all human kind, the one thing in which you would do anything else to avoid it, but know that you are going to have to reinstall eventually, and go through it again. I mean, I know it's to prevent piracy, but come on...

Well, that's not actually how it is supposed to work...

Unless you're talking about the Family Pack.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Mostly stability and Security.

User interface can suck too. Lack of consistancy and quality of programs. Sometimes poor integration with each other too.

AND WHY CAN'T YOU MOVE AROUND THE LITTLE APPLICATION BOX WINDOWS IN THE TASK BAR

^^ really annoys me

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Eh, minor technicality. :p

Anyways, my reasons for disliking Windows (in no particular order):

1. Upgrades are too expensive
    2. I get lost easily in the UI
    3. It's as stable as a game of Jenga

Otherwise, and I'm probably going to be lynched for saying this, Windows is a perfectly decent OS.

7. minicoop503 macrumors regular

Do you mean the quick launch buttons? Or do you mean when a window is open?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

for me besides everything else everyone has already listed: Price

windows is so damn expensive its rediculous, utterly rediculous. Then you have to go pay $200+ TO TYPE DOCUMENTS (provided you are unhappy with wordpad, as im sure EVERYONE is)

Apples OS and software is in almost every case, cheaper, and a good buy:apple:

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Which they make up for with the hardware...

10. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I really hate how little I hate it. I mean, I know I'm supposed to, but.. it's really not that bad!

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yet its quality hardware, which as far as the laptops ive had so far (im looking at you dell) is somehow hard to come by:rolleyes:

12. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Another thing I hate about Windows...

All the effort for backwards compatibility, which obviously creates a lot of bulk in the code and presents numerous stability issues...

And through all of that, several older programs I try to run just can't run because XP is not compatible. What's the point?

13. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Windows kept me employed for a very long time.

I've used it since it was a layer you ran on top of DOS.

I don't like the interface changes that they've made with Vista. XP is the pinnacle of operating systems from Microsoft. It was nearly bullet proof when used properly. (in other words, stay away from sites that are actively trying to wreck your OS). I ran XP in beta for a year without a single bug. I was on their OEM beta team and couldn't crash it no matter what I installed. (except for Norton stuff, but you all knew that already. Norton can crash computers it's not even on.)

Every version of Windows improved in some way until Vista. I am running Vista on two computers, and now have a hard time finding things that were second nature in all previous revisions.

OS X has so many nice features, but still has plenty of things that Windows does better.

Overall, I do like OS X. I like Windows XP. When / (IF) Apple gives me a new generation of Mini (or non-Mac Pro), I will be installing XP with Office 2007 into Fusion since Office 2007 is SO SO SO SO *SO* much better than Office 2004 or 2008. I'll use the Mac for everything except my spreadsheets and documents.

14. Keebler macrumors 68030

1. i've broken a few with baseballs and golfballs.
    2. hard to keep clean - always using windex
    3. hard to remember if they're open after a drunken night stupor
    4. relating to #4, really sucks when one stands up naked in front it after a drunken night's stupor and a nice romp.....and then that one realizes he's on the 2nd floor and down at ground level, is a very busy yard sale full of people looking up (VERY true story! :eek:

as for the software,
    stability and the registry's hook on everything.

ugh.

plus, it just looks ugly. the UI isn't as friendly and intuitive as Mac's, which is much more common sense imho.

windows, to me, has a very corporate look (maybe not so much with vista)

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The hardware isn't really all that top-notch. I mean, it's obviously better then Dell or HP, but you could definitely get better, more reliable hardware, for about the same price.

16. Sogo macrumors 6502

Stability: I always hated when the computer would start to crash, or almost crash, or just plain freeze while I was doing something.

Ugly: I never liked the window layout, and things seemed clogged in my view.

Annoyance: I hated that when I installed something, I would have to restart the computer. If a connection was not working, restart. If a driver was not working correctly, restart...

GAH! I just don't like having to restart or/and shutdown the computer more often then I use it.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i never said its the best hardware known to man, it is good.

i like apple, thats why ill pay for it. end of story

18. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

you must serve, or else? :eek:

Attached Files:

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It's too bloated. I used my brother's HP laptop yesterday, and there's just sooo many places where a file can possibly be. And searching for them is just an incredible pain in the @ss. Not to mention that when I plugged in a Microsoft USB webcam, I got about 5 hardware not detected messages. Even with the drivers installed.

20. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

-Registry

-WGA

-Driver issues

otherwise im content with it.

21. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Has anyone felt that Vista fixed all of their complaints, or most of them? Or, do you at least feel that newer updates of XP made the system continuously safer and more secure?

I do feel that, but still am not content with it as a whole. As for Vista, I'm not sure, haven't used it much. Don't like the whole crappy translucency concept: I want to see my gosh darn OS, not see through it! :mad:

22. Trip.Tucker Guest

So name some of this better hardware to back up your statement or provide an article or reference.

23. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Its unstable, doesn't play nice with others(no NFS? 20 years after the protocol first appeared?!?!), treats its users like potential thieves even when they paid for the software, and has a crappy command line.

Unfortunately the first 2 items can be said of Apple nowadays too :mad:

24. remmy macrumors 6502a

Hate the pop up bubbles about security or things connected. Or every time you have to install hard ware drivers with that annoying wizard.

Dislike how over time your computer slowly slows down and problems appear

Its quite expensive

Switching between lots of windows is still not good enough