Reattaching a key's rubber 'nipple'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x.sunrise, Aug 27, 2012.

  1. x.sunrise macrumors newbie

    Feb 13, 2010
    I (idiotically) was attempting to clean the gunk out from underneath my "3" key after removing the numeric cap when the rubber nipple thing hovering over the key sensor partially detached. It is only connected in one corner now and, although it still sits nicely over the sensor, the problem seems to be that it is not snug and therefore hitting nearby keys or doing any other motions triggers the sensor so that my computer randomly spews out 3s while typing.

    Okay and just now the entire thing came off, but I still have the rubber thing. How can I reattach it? It seems like such an isolated, fixable problem... could I use superglue if I apply it precisely? Before I found out this was the source of my typing problems, the Genius Bar didn't really know what was going on and just recommended replacing the entire topcase :/

    Would superglue be the right adhesive and is there anything specific I should watch out for? Or should I not attempt this at all?

    Thanks for your input!!!

    (Sorry for the cross post this is meant to be in the MBP forum not the MB forum)
  2. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    I've used Superglue before, but be exceptionally careful with it. It's tough to get it positioned exactly right and not get glue in the wrong places along the way.


Share This Page