Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Hey guys,

After taking the screen off to do an optical drive/ssd replacement I tried reattaching the glass but could not seem to get it just flush with the aluminum. Any trick to getting it back on right?

Zach Schible

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Indiana
I am not completely sure but I think that might be normal. I got my iMac new from Apple and havent removed the glass and it is slightly off. I can only tell by feeling it and it in nearly impossible to tell by looking.

Was it perfectly flush before the work you did?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I think it might be, it's not affecting performance in any way. It isn't noticeable unless you look closely. And I think it's held by a magnet so there's no glue involved. I don't remember if it was like that before.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
What do you mean by flush? Do you mean there's a gap between the glass and the aluminum, or do you mean the glass hangs off the sides?

The glass is held on by magnets, and it does flex, so a little gap would be pretty normal.

Hey guys,

After taking the screen off to do an optical drive/ssd replacement I tried reattaching the glass but could not seem to get it just flush with the aluminum. Any trick to getting it back on right?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Hey sorry let me be clear. The glass does not sit firmly against the metal. You can fit a piece of paper in between the glass and aluminum. Plus it sits above the metal chin on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.