Reball reliability issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geekdad, Apr 14, 2014.

1. geekdad macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I have been repairing circuit boards for a while with pretty good reliability. I have one unit that is a problem though. I have kept this unit for testing, since I am particularly interested in why it has such low reliability.

Failure mode is always the same - glitchy display after 4-5 weeks of use. 2-3 restarts after initial error the unit boots with a black screen.

I have reballed the GPU 3 separate times. Each time it is a complete process of removing the chip, removing the solder, ultrasonic cleaning, and then reballing the chip, chip placement on the board, etc. I use lead solder balls.

I have changed material lots for both the solder balls and the flux; in case it was something wrong with them. My best guess is that the GPU itself is faulty, and the reflow thermal cycle is "fixing" something in the chip package temporarily. I have ordered a new GPU to replace the current chip.

I'm interested to hear what you think it may be.

Kind Regards,
  2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
  3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    If you're working on a 15"/17" early/late-2011 MBP, there's a manufacturing flaw in all of those logic board that causes the AMD Radeon card to fail. There is no permanent fix to it other than re-soldering a new Radeon GPU it.