Rebate EAN codes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by feckonastick, Sep 29, 2008.

1. feckonastick macrumors newbie

I'm really confused!

I bought my imac through my local Apple store and got the Higher Education discount.

With this I also got an ipod nano and printer.

As I bought in a shop, the rebate forms must be printed off the Apple website and copies of the EAN bar codes and receipts attached. Seems a pain, but I started getting this prepared tonight.

Now, I didnt want to wreck my nano packaging and was able to peel off the EAN bar code sticker without any rips or tears. Now I'm reading that the code needs to be cut along with the cardboard of the box. I can't see this in the terms and conditions

http://input.media.euro.apple.com/apple/promotions/terms/perfectcompanion0908/uk/tsandcs.html

I've found terms and conditions from last year's offer which stated, "The UPC labels must be cut from the product packaging so that the cardboard
    and/or plastic backing is completely removed from the packaging.The UPC code labels must include the part number with bar code, serial number
    with bar code, and product description"

I truely cannot see this mentioned on current terms and conditions and don't know how to confirm this with Apple. My Apple store has only been open a week and the staff did not know.

Can anyone confirm, or tell me who I'm supposed to contact? I've been on Apple UK's website and I'm still none the wiser :confused:

Thanks in advance :)

2. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Did you manage to sort this out - I really don't want to mutilate my box - and cannot see why I can't just scan in or photgraph the label.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I just got my cheque back from Apple for £95. I got the new MacBook and an iPod nano and I cut the label from the nano using a pair of scissors and I cut the label from the MacBook using a Stanley knife. No real "mutilation" - there's a bit of a dent in the bottom of the box but the place where the label was had a double layer of cardboard so it's fine.

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Thanks for the info, Neil. How long did it take?

5. feckonastick thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end I peeled the label from the nano box and stuck it to a post-it-note, but then couldnt get a definite answer from the Apple store so cut my imac box and sent a letter basically saying that there was nothing in the terms and conditions that says that it's a requirement to cut the boxes. This requirement was in last years terms and conditions though because I found a copy online. I definately dont think they would accept a copy or photograph though.

I attached my receipt and sent it all off and got my cheque two or three weeks later :)

6. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Thanks feckonastick - I'm going to just cut the boxes and be done with it. It seems silly and unnecessary but I can't be bothered to risk problems, and give them a reason to refuse payment.

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I know this is an old thread

But does anyone else find it a pain to peel the EAN stickers off of the packaging without ripping it!

I can't help but feel this is Apple's sneaky way of cutting down the rebate claims by creating obstacles :mad:

For the record I was extra careful and took my time, but it seems sooo unnecessary to do this and hell no was I going to start vandalising the box!

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

9. scarboni21 macrumors regular

If your doing it for the ipod and printer you can just do it online at apple.com/promo. No box cutting necessary.

10. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Not according to the T&C

12. To redeem under this offer Qualifying Education Customers must;
    Submit the claim online at www.apple.com/uk/promo ; AND

Mail the printed online claim output with a proof-of-purchase consisting of a copy of an Apple Retail Receipt or Online Apple Store Invoice or Shipping Confirmation. Order acknowledgments, packing slips or purchase orders will not be accepted. AND;

Return the EAN Bar Code labels from the Apple product boxes with (i) and (ii) above.
    The envelope enclosing the completed original coupon or printed online claim output, copy of your proof-of-purchase and other relevant documents as defined herein must be posted to:

Apple BTS Rebate, PO Box 33, Ross-on-Wye, HR9 7WA, United Kingdom.

11. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Oops didnt see that you were from across the pond. Its early here