Rebate with education promo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by denizzziz13, Jun 25, 2008.

1. denizzziz13 macrumors member

Ok, I'm admittedly a newbie and about to buy my first Macbook...

I will be a college freshman next year and want to but a Macbook and get the rebate for the iPod touch and I'm going to submit it through the online form.

My problem is I don't have an official ID or email address for the college I'm attending, so will I still be able to get the rebate? How do they confirm that I'm a student?

2. keehun macrumors regular

I called Apple Rep today at my local Southdale Store, and quoting him, he says Acceptance letters will work. Anything that proves you are enrolled. Like having that university email, etc.

Edit. Be sure that you go to a physical store...

3. denizzziz13 thread starter macrumors member

Why not online? I think the nearest store is a fairly long drive from my place.

4. keehun macrumors regular

Um, Yes. Online. You could technically buy educational online without having proof if you find an institution without a custom store. Apple works out of mutual trust. However, even if you don't have your ID, if you are technically "enrolled" you should contact the school so you have a school web account. That's how they track you on most universities and colleges.

keehun

5. denizzziz13 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thank you. I am going to a smaller school on a swimming scholarship and due to that, they do their ID/email/school account system different.

6. keehun macrumors regular

I would just try to find a "School" on Apple Educational that doesn't require a log in to their system and order there. You are going to a college, and I think you've every right to be taking advantage of Apple's Educational Program. Apple isn't that stringent on Educational purchase terms. Like physical stores never bother to check on your limit. :)

7. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

They trust you. When I bought my MBP last June, I told them I was a student. They asked to see an ID, but I didn't get mine until I arrived on campus in August. I told them that and they said it was fine and never asked again.