Rebel EFI : Windows 7 does not boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jhyuk, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jhyuk macrumors newbie

After installing the rebel efi and setting up Snow Leopard properly, I cannot boot into windows through the boot selection. Selecting windows results in Grub loading : error 22 and booting into any of the other drives did not work. I also tried returning the BIOS settings to before Snow Leopard was intalled. Which seems to result in the same error. The other problem is that the sound card does not seem to work in windows. although it states that 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller works. There is no input or output sound device

The thing is that I have already successfully installed Snow Leopard on a drive. Here is the setup. The system has 3 Hard Drives 1. Windows 7 x64 Installed 2. NTFS Hard drive for storage 3. Snow Leopard drive with single partition. It currently only boots into the Snow Leopard. Whereas it shows a Grub Loading error 22 if you try to boot into windows. I would really like to dual boot windows 7 and Snow leopard.. or atleast be able to use my windows 7 which does have "sound" And for the sound card issue, the sound card is the built in sound card of the Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard.

And this is the answer from Psystar which didn't help me much:

The Snow Leopard hard drive needs to be set as the primary boot device. Upon start up DUBL should recognize this, and all other attached drives. In regards to your sound related issues Psystar is working to make as many devices as possible compatible with Rebel EFI.New hardware profiles are continuously being added. Be sure to have the latest version of Rebel EFI downloaded and installed for maximum compatibility. This can be done simply by launching the application and updating when prompted. Psystar is working to make as many devices as possible compatible with Rebel EFI. If you would like to have your device tested for compatibility, fill out a device compatibility request (DCR) form. For more information on sending in your device for testing, or for a DCR form, contact labs@psystar.com.

Could someone please help?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is the OSX forum. Shouldn't you be on psystars forums asking this ?

3. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

They dont seem to have a forum and their support answers arent any good

They dont seem to have a forum and their support answers arent any good.
    Kinda trying my last option here :(

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

@jhyuk - you're not going to get much help from a bunch of fanboi Steve Jobs' suck ups here. Besides, most of them wouldn't know how to build a computer unless it came in a shiny Apple box :rolleyes:

If were you, I'd try one of the hackintosh forums - there is a lengthy discussion about Rebel EFI here for example. Good luck!

5. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Since nobody else wants to provide some sort of help, I will. I knew from reading the topic of this thread that people would be off topic.

All you may have to do is put in your Windows 7 DVD and do a fixmbr through the command prompt from 'Repair Your Computer'.

6. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I already do own a MBP.
    I recently bought a PC and was wanting to try out installing it..

Anyways... for some reason the repair option from the RC CD of windows7 does not seem to work although it is the same version of the windows i have installed.. damn it!

7. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I have a question... Why are you using GRUB? Is it required for the Rebel EFI?

8. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was setup by rebel efi to boot windows from it. Which seems a bit weird.

Could it be possible that this problem came from the fact that the hard drive with windows 7 wa not connected during the install of the efi?

9. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

That could very well be why.

Try going into the command prompt in the Windows 7 'Repair Your Computer' area and make your Windows partition active:
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    list partition
    select partition #
    active
    exit
    exit

10. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion but didnt seem to help.

Still saying grub loading error 22...
    Is there any way to remove the grub from command prompt? (if this can help)

11. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Doing the startup repair should have replaced GRUB with the Windows bootloader.

Take the Windows drive out of the system and boot up. If it uses GRUB then it must be loading from something else.

Check your BIOS to see that your Windows drive is booting first.

If these ideas sound dumb then I'm not sure. It's good to try something...

12. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

are u on a hackintosh or mac? and whats going on? i thought u said u couldnt boot windows 7, how come u have access to command prompt? idk im confused, someone explain please. =D

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

14. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I sorted it out.
    I reinstalled windows by formatting it.
    For some reason the system partition on the windows drive was not there.

I think the problem happened from the windows hard drive not being connected while installing rebel efi and SL.

And for all of you mac lovers saying buying a mac is the best option here, I do agree in the case where its time to buy a new system, but when you have a fairly good system already, this was the next best option.

15. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Okay, so if you have a relatively up to date computer then buying a copy of OS X and completely breaking the EULA which will probably result in increased copyright hassles for the rest of us is justified? :rolleyes:

Thanks a million. And that's coming from a long time system builder who still loves his Mac and understands that OSX costs are in part defrayed by Apple being the only ones who can sell OS X systems.

16. jhyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not saying it justifies it but, I already own a copy of both leopard and SL cuz I already do own a MBP and I dont mind paying for any of the Apple Software cuz I do like them and its not stupidly overpriced with idiotic types of versions like MS products.

I dont know why Apple arent letting selling their OS for any systems.(It could be cuz they can't be bothered supporting hundreds of different combination of hardware, or they wanna overprice their hardware and upgrades), but the point is that an OS should not be dependent on hardware.

I really do like Apple products and have quite a few of them, but seriously, they should stop trying to tell people whats best for them.

I think Apple is trying too much to be different from MS and MS is dumb enuf to think that seems too cool and copy off Apple lol.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This has already been explained to you. Have you ever noticed that Microsoft Windows cost substantially more than MacOS X--except for Windows-Toddlers & Infants at any rate? Do you have a clue how much NeXT charged for OpenSTEP after NeXT abandoned its hardware?

In 1997 after Apple bought the company and reduced the price, OpenSTEP went for $500 with a student price of $300. At that, OpenSTEP was supported on a limited subset of high-end PCs to keep costs down. Apple simply cannot sell MacOS X at a price that is competitive in the market. The OS is competitive only because Apple subsidizes its price with hardware sales. A merchant version of the OS would not sell without continued subsidies from [reduced] Apple hardware sales. It has already been established that supporting a wider array of hardware would increase Apple's costs.

Increasing costs while reducing margins. This is not a business model taught in most business schools.

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

At the end of the day you can essentially do what you want.

However we have already seen reports of people running Psystar machines or Hackintosh machines calling APPLE for support on their unsupported hardware.

This means that Apple either

1. has to put stricter and stricter DRM and activation schemes in OS X which potentially increase price and aggravation for users.

2. support other non Apple hardware which again drives up price and aggravation for other users since Apple has to increase their support capabilities which we all get to pay for in the form of more expensive Apple Care, more expensive and difficult OS X upgrades, etc. This also IMMEDIATELY dilutes the Apple brand image when you can buy some crappy looking beige box and call it a "Mac". Apple does not want this, I can assure you.

3. ignore the Hack community which is essentially what they have done.

I would just hate to see the wonderful buttery smooth OS X installation experience marred by this crap. Hope you understand that those of us who run Mac hardware don't want pains in the ass that are implemented to deal with the hacker community who think that it's okay to buy a $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disc and install it on a pile of home built computers, there by depriving Apple of potential sales.

19. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Rebel EFI sucks, I bought a code and ativated it on my pc about 30 mins after installing and setting it up... my motherboard failed (granted not psystars fault it just failed... i thought it was on ts way out anyway)

so i replace the motherboard and now my activation code no longer works because i changed the motherboard. iv been on to them about it for a week now and its still not resolved...

You cant swap anything around in your computer if you buy rebel efi it ties your activation code to the original motherboard you did it on.. so no matter what if your motherboard fails or you feel like a upgrade then rebel efi no longer works

How rediculous is that? i hope some of you after reading this dont buy it... its really not worth it and iv been through loads of hassle with them and still not got it resovled..

It wouldnt have been so bad if they had previously warned about this on there site... but since they didnt mention this at all I am entitled to a refund or a damn new code...

criminals

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have no sympathy for people who buy Paystars or the RebelEFI and have problems. I'd say something more forceful, but that would be tacky.

21. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

The irony here is so thick it would take me a week to wade through. But let me see if I have this right - Psystar marries their software "rebel EFI" to your components to stop you from unautorized copying and distribution, but the whole point of rebel EFI is to use other software in an unauthorized (still being hammered out in court) manner.

:rolleyes:

22. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Not to mention the fact that Rebel EFI itself is quite possibly pirated from another open source project itself.

HAHAHAHA!

23. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Got it in one.... I wish and shouldnt have bought the damn thing... it was just the only way to even get snow leopard to boot on my machine... I use my macbook pro all the time... and I have a quad core computer just sitting here gathering dust now because I rarely use windows.. so I thought id get SL on there to finally make me start using it again

Moral of the story is, dont give money to thieves

24. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

And to Ri0ku and others - This is by no means a comment whatsoever on you and your hackintosh efforts. Simply an observation about Psystar.