Rebel XS pre-flash

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by amoda, Jan 14, 2010.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So most of the pics I take are in low-light conditions. I've been using low aperture lenses such as the Canon 50 f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Both are
    great!

I am, however, having an issue with the pre-flashes that the camera gives off. Sometimes when taking a picture the camera will use a burst of 3-6, and sometimes more, flashes before it focuses. I don't currently have an external flash (I'll remedy that once I can afford to) so have been sticking to the internal one. Will getting an external fix this issue?

I understand that the camera needs to do that to focus accurately, but is there any way to decrease the amount of pre-flash or make them closer to the "real flash"?

It can be very annoying to be on the other end of a camera which flashes you 5 times BEFORE it even takes the photo.

Cheers!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

IIRC, turning off red-eye reduction will kill the pre-flash. Typically, external flash units override any built-in devices as well, so that should also stop it. Check the owner's manual, it should cover the topic.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

A smart external flash will use IR beams to help the camera focus instead of the pre-flashes, much much less annoying. Most Canon's use IR and so do sigma and some metz I believe.

As far as reducing the problem now, pick a bright spot to focus on which will make it easier for the camera and may cut down on the strobing. Red Eye off may also help (although you wil get horrendous redeye with on camera flash.

4. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a