Reboot after Wake may be caused by VMware or Parallels session. Vote here.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jb60606, Mar 13, 2008.

?

Mac Pro "Reboot After Wake" may be tied to Parallels/Fusion. Vote here!

1. Yes, My MP reboots after waking. I use Parallels

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, My MP does NOT RAW. I use Parallels

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Yes, My MP reboots after waking. I use VMware Fusion

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. No, My MP does NOT RAW. I use VMware Fusion

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. I use neither Fusion or Parallels and my machine still reboots after waking

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Courtesy of jjahshik32, in this thread; A possible resolution has hopefully been found for us users affected by the notorious mac pro RAW (Reboot after Wake) problem.

For some users (myself included), the RAW problem seems to appear consistently after running a virtual machine session (Parallels or VMware Fusion, thus far) prior to putting the machine to sleep.

I did the following to test my MP. Can you do something similar and give us your results?

P.S. Sorry for the redundant poll questions.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

i posted that even after not run parallels and this morning it did reboot on wake, that a file in the system log or library from the parallels could still randomly trigger it. I do believe that even installing parallels (not running to actual program) could still trigger the reboot on wake. I'm going to try to erase parallels all together and wipe everything of the parallels off the mac pro to see if it makes any difference.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Neither VMWare nor Parallels has ever seen my Mac Pro and I still Reboot upon wake.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

It has to be the graphics card itself or the smc firmware needs an update. It has to be the smc.

5. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

This has nothing to do with parallels or Vmware, I have both and uninstalled, then reinstalled vmware and still use vmware.
    I did extensive testing over a week and it rebooted irrespective of these applications.

I have found however that doing an SMC + PRAM reset has enabled me to sleep and wake fine for 5 days now, no doubt no that I have said this it will go back to rebooting at some point :(

But for others out there with the problem, follow the SMC reset to the word and then also the PRAM reset, see if it fixes it for you (at least for now until they find the root cause)

btw, I am *still* using vmware daily, both suspending and rebooting the xp virtual machine and my Pro still sleeps and wakes as it should. Some days it sleeps 3 times a day, others just once overnight. (Bless it, it sounds like its human)