Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I got a new 2014 model and so far have only installed xbmc, air video server, and photostreamr server.

Occasionally, when I restart the computer goes into a boot loop and just keeps chiming. I have to then hold down the power button to stop it.

Any ideas? Should I reinstall OSX? Is this suggestive of a hardware issue? I'm still in the return period. If I reinstall OS X can I restore from a time machine backup or does that defeat the purpose? I setup many options and add ons in xbmc and would like to avoid repeating the process.

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I am totally unfamiliar with the software you installed. But I would do a full factory restore and see how the machine behaves for at least a few days before you reinstalled the other software.

If it acts up with only the factory configuration, then you know it's a hardware problem.

If it behaves fine, then you can reinstall your other software.

Understandably, it's a pain to reconfigure settings. But obviously something isn't working properly at the moment. And restoring from a backup is just going to put you right back where you are.

So I'd suggest using it in its factory state for a few days. If all is fine, then add one thing at a time and observe it. When it starts acting up, you'll know it was whatever you did last.

Best of luck to you.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
its just my opinion, but i think a boot loop would indicate a fatal error like its hard disk or maybe a ram failure???

or maybe a program corrupted your os x install, but i don't think thats possible.

i thought an application corrupting your computer and causing it to refuse to boot was a windows feature
nyuk nyuk nyuk lol lol lol

run apple diagnostics (apple hardware test)
if a hard disk is actually bad, a.h.t. won't tell you, it just tells you if its present
select the extended test , this will take an hour or so and it will test the ram
support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

reset pram
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761

reset smc
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

check the disk / permissions with disk utility and /or reinstall mac os x
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718

if you can click on "about this mac" and pull a system report in recovery mode, ( i forget if its possible ) go to the storage tab on the left, and look at the screen to make sure it says "smart status : verified "

they used to put smart status in disk utility, but i think it is now been removed

if it says "unsupported' it means you have an internal hard drive in a usb enclosure

if it says anything else but "verified" your disk has been damaged and it needs to be replaced, period

it looks like about this mac is not in recovery mode, sigh

if you go to terminal and type ' diskutil info disk0 | grep SMART ' it will tell you your smart status no matter what os x version you have. if you have more then one disk , type 'diskutil list'

if you run disk utility and your hard disk is greyed out, and you can't click on repair permissions or repair disk, it is because it is locked by file vault, right click your hard disk, and select unlock, and enter your login password to unlock the disk

Attachments

• smart.jpg
    smart.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

dokindo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Thank you all for the responses.

Resetting the SMC and PRAM seems to have done the trick.

Appreciate the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.