reboot to the same option as i booted into?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reclzz, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Reclzz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I've just installed Windows 8.1 on an Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 256GB.
    When I boot it on my Mid 2014 base Macbook Pro it works great.

However, I reach a point in the setup sequence of Windows 8.1 that it needs to reboot, and when it starts up again it boots to OS X 10.10 and if I hold down Option key and boots the USB drive again, it hangs... so I have to format and reinstall Windows to the drive.

Is there anyway to force the Mac to boot into the same option i chose at the original boot?

Kind regards
    Bo Handskemager Sørensen

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

yeah, I'm not sure but i did that when i had bootcamp set up on my mac

3. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Reset NVRAM

If by 'original' you mean OS X, then you can reset the NVRAM.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

The subsequent start – without a user preference – will take a little longer than usual, but you should find that the Mac will boot OS X.

4. Reclzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

By original boot I mean Windows, if I don't do anything it boots straight to OS X but as the initial setup of Windows requires a couple of reboots.

The problem is, that if I Option key into the boot selector and choose to boot on the USB drive again it just hangs and that loading symbol keeps turning, but nothing happens.

Is there any way to make my Mac have boot priority to boot USB drive before internal like on PC's? Like holding down the C key, I read that boots USB, CD or DVD.
    I haven't tried because I'm using a VM to install the ISO to my USB drive and it takes 30-45 min to do that, so would hate to mess it up and use another 3 quarters of an hour to reinstall Windows.

All it should be doing when booting up the first time is check hardware to set drivers then reboot, you can then customize different things then it reboots again and there you have Windows 8.1.

I could do it with a PC using UEFI boot, but I don't have one, nor any of my friends.

I'm sorry if I'm hard to understand, trying my best to make things understandable. :)

Kind regards
    Bo Handskemager Sørensen

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

True – Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs – Apple Support

I guess that using the startup key combination at those times should have the desired effect.