Rebooted iMac during update install, now won't boot or install OSX

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdatadrive, Jun 29, 2011.

1. macdatadrive macrumors regular

Hello...

yes i know I was silly but i was installing a update of mac os x and other software. (mac os x 10.6.8)
    it wasn't loading so i rebooted it, only to hear no bong no apple logo and coming to a terminal like screen saying 'no bootable device insert a boot disc and press any key to continue'
    somehow i got the cd i had in there out and inserted snow leopard. i booted from it and erased and repaired the hard drive. then it said 'install failed. mac os x cannot be installed on your computer'

i started to re-erase the hard drive (zero out data)
    I DESPERATLY need help! please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macdatadrive:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Air2 macrumors member

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recommends: DON'T PANIC! :cool:

Going from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 includes a long wait with a grey screen and an unresponsive system (neither idle nor crashed - just working hard invisibly). As you have deleted the HD content already, you will need to go through the reinstallation process and install a clean 10.6.7. Then redownload the update to 10.6.8 and take a long break away from the computer (did anyone measure the time for that? It felt like ten minutes). Et voilà, your iMac is ready to rumble. :)

3. macdatadrive thread starter macrumors regular

the problem is i wasn't on 10.6.7!
    I was only on 10.6.0!!!!
    I can't not panic!!!
    I'm gonna say it again.
    When I restarted it came to a black screen and said it couldnt boot.
    i restarted and checked on teh install dvd and it didnt even show the hard drive as being bootable!!!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The message

'install failed. mac os x cannot be installed on your computer'

indicates that the DVD you are trying to use is a restore disk from a different computer. The grey restore disks are model specific; you need the one for the exact model Mac, or use a retail Snow Leopard disk.

5. macdatadrive thread starter macrumors regular

Pardon me for my rudeness, but how do you even know I'm using a restore disc? And to answer that I DID have a family pack of SL.
    Ok now back on the dilemma. Once the drive had been zeroed out, I tried to install it again. And against all odds, it worked!!!
    I'm sending on my good old iMac.
    Hallelujah!
    Air, I just want to say thanks for telling me not to panic.
    Old Wiz, I think maybe you should have asked me before you assumed I had a restore disc.

6. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Think you're taking it a bit personally and are being rather rude to someone who, from where I was standing, was just making a suggestion rather than an assumption.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The message I quoted usually comes out when someone tries to use, for example, an iMac grey disk on a MBP. this is a common problem here for newbies.

In the future I won't bother to reply to your threads.

Being rude to people who are at least trying to help you will win you no friends here.