"REBOOTING" boot loop with one //e game

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by IIeBoy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. IIeBoy macrumors member

IIeBoy

Hi, I bought a vintage floppy disk of Frogger for the Apple //e. It was still shrink wrapped with the original Our Price Records price tag which was pretty cool.

I had nostalgic fun opening it (couldn't resist) but the disk just boot loops.

It displays a one line copyright notice at the top of the screen for a millisecond, then says "REBOOTING" and cycles like that.

Is this likely a dud disk, or could it be a hardware issue?

I only just got the machine, and the one and only other disk I have (An Introduction to the //e) loads fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Was it... specifically for the IIe? And do you have a IIe? Or is there a mismatch... it's really for the II+ and you have a IIe, or vice versa?

Some early games were pretty tricky with their copy protection, and if they weren't in an environment they expected, they might go into that reboot loop.

3. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy

Hmm, well the item said IIe but the box only says II/II+. Take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271698088771?_mwBanner=1

Any way out of that boot situation?

I definitely used to have Frogger working for the IIe so I wonder if they released an updated one...

4. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Musicland! From (near) my hometown. Good stuff.

Probably not. Unless your drive is out of spec enough to confuse the copy protection.

Your options are to either get a II+, or to try any of a number of cracked copies of Frogger floating around on the net. Like here:

http://www.virtualapple.org/froggerdisk.html

5. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy

Thanks!

The floppy worked on the IIe back in the 80s so I'm stumped. Is there any fix I can do to my drive or should I try another drive?

I'm looking for the original rather than emulated.

Thanks in advance!

6. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Well, not *that* floppy since you tore off the wrapping. So it could be due to a different model of IIe (enhanced vs. unenhanced) or it could be due to bit rot on the floppy you have in your hand now, or it could be the drive rotational speed, or it could be gunk on the read head, or it could be - your faulty recollection.

Not altogether likely, no.

Then get yourself some blank disks and copy a cracked version via ADTPro, put it in your Frogger box, and convince yourself it's the real thing. ;-)

7. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy