Rebooting iMac rearranges my desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JoeDK, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JoeDK macrumors newbie

Hey Guys.

Recently i purchased the amazing product, the new 2011 iMac, and it works flawless..

But a certain glitch really bugs me, that i just don't know how to fix..

When i reboot my iMac. (Shut it down, or just restart it), my desktop is rearranged..

All my folders, files and shortcuts, is moved to the right side of the screen in a completely random order, instead of keeping my setup, where i arrange the folders and files, as i see fit.

This issue really bugs me, as i have to rearrange my desktop each and every single time i shut down my iMac.. I need a fix, or im gonna loose my mind soon..

Quick clarification:

When my iMac reboots, all folders, files and shortcuts that i've placed on my desktop as i see fit. Is moved to the right screen in one huge mess, though alphabeticly. And i then have to rearrange my desktop again.. I have about 30 folders and files placed at my desktop for ease of use and so i can find the certain files and folders fast, and atm the whole user experience is really getting a bummer.

I've owned 2 macbooks and an iMac prior to this one, and never had this issue before..

Is it a setting i've missed or are there maybe some hardware failure i am not aware of?

Best regards and thank you for a beautiful product.
    Anders Christensen
    Denmark

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that would be frustrating!

Try this: right-click (or Control-click) on a blank part of your desktop. In the context menu that appears, click Show View Options.

At the bottom of the little window that appears, you'll see Arrange by: and a field where you can choose one of several options. Yours is probably set to Name. Try either Snap to Grid (what I use) or None.

Hope that helps the user experience!

Regards,
    Brian33