Rebooting into Windows (Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stenoboy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. stenoboy macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a more efficient way of rebooting into Windows without having to restart and hold the alt key for 30 seconds or so until the two hard disk icons appear at startup? I have to switch between Bootcamp and OS X frequently, and unfortunately, Parallels doesn't run the software I need for some reason (multiple USB issues).

I was hoping to find a way of getting the computer to display at startup an option to choose Windows or OS X without having to hold the alt key - is there a default setting for this somewhere? It seems you can either have the computer start in OS X or Windows, but not an option screen unless you keep the alt key down. I know it's only 30 seconds, but I could be making coffee in that time!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. stenoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

XUKHCx, THANK YOU for this! It works brilliantly and is just what I was looking for. And thanks for responding in what seemed microseconds - nice one.

You --> :cool:

Me -- > :)

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

if you want to do something else while things are rebooting, your other option is to go to -

system preferences
    startup disk
    select the windows volume/folder
    then click restart

using this method the machine boots into the selected OS, and you don't have to be around to select the volume at restart.

just another way to go about it!

:)

5. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

doesnt the little bootcamp icon in the system stray do this, or is that only to switch to osx.

edit: oh from osx, i use bootchamp

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza