Rebooting problems when installing XP without Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FrancisH, Dec 19, 2007.

1. FrancisH macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am due to leave to go on holiday in a few hours (enough time to do installs :) ) and so I wanted to install XP on my MacBook to do some programming work in VB while I was away.
    At this point I should mention that I am using Tiger and that I have already used boot camp before and that Parallels or CrossOver is not currently an option.

So a while ago I decided to use Boot Camp to install Linux on my MacBook on a 5GB partition. Earlier today I booted into the XP CD and tried to install windows over that partition by doing a quick NTFS format and then install.

The problem happens when I get to the first reboot that is required by the install. I cannot get back into the install and pick up where if left off by holding down alt and choosing Windows.

Is there a way to get past this?

[PS. I have tried to get Leopard but the Apple shop near me has ran out]

Looking forward to replies!

Francis :)

2. user13 macrumors regular

user13

This problem may be caused by Boot Camp beta expiry.
    when Leopard was out Boot camp stopped working. Now it is an official feature of Leopard and doesn't work in tiger.
    So, the only way out for if you dislike Parallels/Cross Over is to buy Leopard. upgrade as soon as possible, you will have to anyway!:)