Rebooting problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skyy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. skyy macrumors member

Just installed 3.0 on my 3G a short while ago.

I wanted to reboot my phone - turned it off holding the sleep button and then moving the slider, then turned it back on with the sleep button, and it got stuck at the Apple screen. I had to hold down the sleep and home keys until it shut off, then turned it on again and it took a while to start but it got past the Apple screen.

I tried rebooting again, to see if maybe that was a one-off problem, and it did the same thing again. Except this time, restarting with the sleep and home buttons didn't work, it got stuck at the Apple screen again - it required a second try, and finally booted back up, still taking a while to do it again.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm afraid to turn my phone off now. :\
    Sorry if this was addressed already, I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I'm getting the exact same thing. Sometime it boots up, sometimes it doesn't.
    I'm getting the exact same thing. Sometime it boots up, sometimes it doesn't. Copy pasting cause I can.

3. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and now none of my 3rd party apps are working. They crash immediately upon my starting them. All the Apple apps work fine.
    This wasn't happening until I tried rebooting my phone; I had used a couple of my 3rd party apps before trying to reboot.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Hey, wow, mine's doing the same thing. Yup, all third party apps just crash on boot up.
    edit:

I'm on a NZ iPhone 3G, using a T-mobile sim.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I did another reboot, turning it off and just letting it power on when connected to my iTunes. Probably just the reboot did it, but it's all good now.

Dammit Apple! This better not happen frequently!

6. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Ugh, I should have tried that. I'm restoring now.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I don't think this will be the end of this.

I rebooted again, and it's fine. I'm sure future reboots will probably cause me issues.

Does a restore delete app data like saved games and stuff?

8. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Honestly I don't know, I don't have any saved games. Sorry!

9. skyy thread starter macrumors member

So syncing before I installed 3.0 didn't even save apps that I got within the past few days to my iTunes, so I appear to have lost stuff I paid for. Is there some way to get them back?

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Apps are tied to the account, so you should be able to redownload using the same account without paying again.

11. skyy thread starter macrumors member

This same thing is happening whenever I try to reboot my phone. I'm going to have to restore again. Is anyone else having this trouble? :(

12. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It was happening to me after a restore from backup (I never had to resync. I thought a restore had you resync your stuff?). Look up "apple logo of death". I think perhaps that noncompliant apps maybe responsible for something happening during reboots - kind of constantly resetting. PerhaPs the issue ends u just disabling third all party apps because of this bug.

I resolve this by rebooting while plugged in. Sometimes repeated attempts. This really sucks.

13. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a million for that! I had no idea what it was called. A google search showed it seems to be app related, so I've deleted a bunch that I don't care too much about or didn't look as...professional? as some others, and I was actually able to restart my iPhone without issue. (Whew...finally.) Fingers crossed that we've figured it out.

14. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I hope so. It's strange that not many are making a deal of this, because I'm sure we can't be the only ones with some noncompliant apps.

15. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Ok, I think I just may have sorted this out. Since I believe it was app related, I deleted a handful of apps (I picked ones that were kind of older and hadn't been updated in a while over apps that had frequent updates), and synced and tried a few reboots. I must've selected the right apps, because everything seemed fine. I empirically tried restoring my missing apps, hoping top find the culprit app. It seems my phone is fine now, without any indication of which app was causing me rebooting issues. Possibly, one of the apps I deleted and put back fixed up whatever was causing the issue. If so, I'm pretty lucky, because I only tried removing and replacing around 4 apps.

Wish me luck!

On that note, I just want to ask again - is it typical for a restore from backup to not actually resync data? I did a restore from backup, and it only took 5-10 minutes, like it was only restoring the firmware. It never resynced my media (it just stayed on there).

16. skyy thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure I'm completely understanding you here, so I'll just give my experience on what happens when I have to do one of these restores - after the restore, iTunes asks if I want to set it up as a new phone or restore from a backup. I always choose the backup, and what I thought that was supposed to do was restore all my apps and everything, but it never does. I think it just restores my settings. After that, I sync, and that's when I get my apps back. I've tried saving a game, and it does restore that data. All my mail is there, my texts, my Shazam tags, my Skype login, etc etc.

I don't know if it adds much to our experiment but if I try to resync without restoring, it doesn't work, my apps still crash on startup. I'm confused too as to why we're the only ones with this problem. :)

17. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yup, pretty much my experience too. I was saying the same thing - I always thought a restore from backup would resync all your media, but it never does - as in, I thought it deleted everything and then loaded it back on, but the 5-10 minutes it takes to restore would have me blieve it doesn't actually remove anything.

I just got ALODed again for the first time after several reboots after installing a new app. Managed to get it up and syncing (no restore). Hoepfully it's fine. It's kind of annoying not being able to trust your own phone to shut down, whether it will be able to start again without my computer nearby.

It's curious to me why this is happening only to a few people. I wonder if it's app related? So are you still getting it? Even after uninstalling your more 'dodgy' apps? I had it perfectly fine yesterday (even after installing a couple of apps). It was only today when I installed another app onto the 5th page. I wonder if it has to do with chaning the number of app pages that causes the application map to change?

For the record, I have an NZ iPhone 3G (unlocked).

18. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I'm starting to think that it's when installing a new app that starts a new page. Possibly an existing app is causing it, like adding a new page causes a redraw of the application map, but it's another map that is causing issues.

I'm going to try installing only to existing pages and see what happens.

Then I'm going to try moving a 4 page app setup to a 5 and rebooting.

edit:

Ugh. I have no idea. I tried installing an app to go from 4 -> 5 pages, and it rebooted fine. But after moving that 5th page app, a reboot causes it to hang on a second reboot.

19. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Bah. I did a complete restore to factory using recovery mode (resync everything - incidentally, it DOES restore all app data), and I still get the ALOD after moving an app from page 4 ->5. I'm guessing the whole mobilewatchdog thing.

It's entirely possible I had it in 2.0, but just never noticed as I keep a fairly constant track of only 4 pages worth of apps, and I don't restart often.