Rebooting the Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Michael Goff, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Is there just some issue with my watch or does anyone else have to reboot their watch about once a week or so to make it work well? Mine gets laggy.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

It's the same as any computing device, in my mind. I reboot my iPad and iPhone on a regular basis.

Helps clear up any unneeded cached info and keep things running more smoothly.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Alright. I guess I didn't realize the whole phone and pad issue since I use the beta and they reboot the phone every two or so weeks whenever the newest comes out.

Thanks.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't eat your cake and have it too so if you want a lag-free AW, don't put beta on your iPhone. Bugs go both ways.

5. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

So the beta on the phone causes lag on the watch? Does the beta on the watch alleviate that?

6. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

No. That's false. I find zero differences with my Apple Watch since putting iOS 9.3.2 beta on my phone. The Apple Watch has always been laggy and inconsistent. It's a gamble as to whether or not Siri will work. There seem to be multiple things that put a kink in the watch' connection to the phone.

A possible connection issue that I've thought of is that I keep my iPhone on my 5ghz network because it's faster and less congested. That requires that I tell my phone to forget the 2.5ghz network. The watch only connects through 2.5ghz. Don't know if this causes issues or not.

I think there are indeed a decent number of software issues. However, I think the main issue is that the hardware isn't really robust enough to power the software. I don't know for sure, but it seems that you have to have perfect connection conditions to input data through the watch; whereas, receiving data on the watch works in all connection conditions (albeit a little slower in some conditions).

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You have documented numerous problems with your specific AW for unknown reason(s), which many of us do not seem to have, so you should refrain from making a concrete statement such as "The AW has always been laggy and inconsistent."

8. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Actually, I think almost every reviewer has acknowledged that the Apple Watch runs slow. It's not just me. Also, I'm by far not the only one to acknowledge that Siri is sometimes hit or miss, especially when compared to the iPhone.

What you're trying to say is that those things don't bother you, and you're happy with it, as is. That's great. I'm glad you're enjoying it. For me, the 1st generation limitations are frustrating.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, I was ½ hour late for an appointment yesterday and I know I set the time correctly and wound it up too.:D

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course it'll run slow with 3rd party apps, as most reviewers reviewed the AW at debut. That's a bit improved with native apps, but even not all native apps are fully optimized. Still beats not having 3rd party apps at all a la the original iPhone.

Many members have reported that Siri is vastly improved and the AW is like day and night difference with the 2.2 update. However, if your own AW has a culprit that's hogging it down you may not notice a difference (nor would you notice it with a beta either if it was slow in the first place).

11. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

You think I might have an app on the watch that is slowing things down/causing connection issues? Seriously asking. I don't mind totally restoring once, as long as I don't have to reset everything once a week.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure what the culprit in your case is. Perhaps it's the network as you suggested, I have no idea. Slow 3rd party apps is expected and normal, but outside of that it shouldn't be laggy. We did have a few bugs that require the AW to be unpaired and re-paired though.

Maybe get it checked out by Apple?

13. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

The weird thing is that it does it even when I'm not on wifi. I'll have perfect cellular signal and the phone on me, and Siri still won't work at times. I don't know why, but it's one of the most frustrating things to me.

14. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd update y'all. I erased everything on my watch and set it up as a new watch on my phone. I don't know if it will last, but it actually seems to be running pretty smooth now. Siri seems a bit more responsive (for now). Also, it seems to finally connect over wifi again. I hate that I had to go to such extreme measures, but hopefully it will stay as is now.

I don't really know if some of my issues were caused by applications, but I'm not installing any apps for now unless I really use them. Right now, that's basically just Dark Sky.