Rebooting with no wired keyboard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Soundhound, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

How can restart with a keyboard key (or keys) held down, if you don't have a wired keyboard. I tried this last night and it wasnt working, and realized my wireless doesn't connect with the iMac until after it's already started up.

Is there a way around this? :confused:

2. BSoares macrumors regular

Is your iMac stuck and you need to force a reboot? If that's the case just hold the power button on the back until it turns off, then hit it again to turn on.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I need to hold down a couple of keys on reboot to go into the new recovery mode in OSX. There are also other times you need to hold keys down (to boot up from a CD etc.) How do people do this without a wired keyboard?

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have about a 50/50 chance of my wireless bluetooth keyboard being discovered/connected quick enough to catch the option-key boot disk selection on my Mac Pro. It does seem to improve if it is a total power-up boot rather than a reboot. I keep a wired keyboard handy for such occasions.

-howard

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to bring one home from work today.

I just googled this some more, and saw a few mentions of the fact that you need to wait for the startup chime sound before depressing any startup keys? Anybody have any experience with that?